Found my 1yr old hen dead today

lynnwelly

Hatching
Jun 13, 2016
My husband went down to check on our chickens, we have four total, and one of the road island reds was dead
1f62d.png
. She was fine yesterday, even laid an egg. He said there was a small area on her belly that had no feathers-probably about the size of an egg or a little bigger. We didn't notice this yesterday when we saw her. He found her bedded down on the ground under the ramp that goes up into the coop, so this belly area wasn't exposed after she died. I am scared that the rest of my chickens are going to die, and also sad
1f62d.png
anyone have any thoughts on how I should proceed? What could have been going on with her? How I should care for the rest of the chickens? I have only had them for a year so I am still new to this. Thanks in advance for any insight

Welcomet to BYC. Sorry about losing your chicken, but it can be common to lose one for no apparent symptoms occasionally. They may have some slight symptoms that can go unnoticed before dying. Some can die of a heart attack. A necropsy done by you state vet, if you can refrigerate the body may tell you of a possible sign.

Anyone have any thoughts on the belly feathers being pecked away? My husband is going to take another look at her this AM, anything we should check?

Sometimes they will peck out their own belly feathers if they are sitting in the nest box becoming broody (wanting to hatch eggs.) Others could also have pecked them out. Lice or mites, or trying to scratch at something hurting inside can lead to feather loss.

Back
Top Bottom