Fowl pox?

SweetHeidi

Chirping
May 6, 2021
Thankfully I keep my 4 flocks all separated and change boots between feeding ect. My main egg laying flock seems to have contracted something. I've deep cleaned my coop but should I scrape out their run area? They have 1/4 acre fenced in 12 ft high in our woods. I'm worried about the wild birds now.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Isa Brown, 2 years, maybe 5 lbs very thin

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
Nothing abnormal, just blisters on face and she is molting

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
2 weeks or more

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No but another had a blister on her eyelid but it healed and I assumed it was a scratch

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
Nothing

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Mash, seeds and crumble, all Kalmbach or local feed mill. Iix 17% with 27% crumble for higher protein going into winter. Oregano oil from nubiotic in their water. Some table scraps, veggies, pumpkin and scrambled eggs during the week. Kefir once every couple weeks. Oh and oyster shells are available to them. They live in the woods, lots of insects to eat.

8) How does the poop look? Normal?
Bloody? Runny? etc.
A bit watery and loose but normal color

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Vetrx on beak and under wings, I'm treating for mites bc one baby had them so I do everyone. I gave the sick looking hen some ground cannabis leaves in her feed as an anti inflammatory.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I have no clue

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
View attachment 3659208
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
We use wood shavings, First Saturday lime, lavender flowers and lemon balm in the coop. I grow and dry my own.

I haven’t had experience with Fowl Pox but it does look like it from pictures I’ve seen. Whitish blisters turn into dark scabs and take a couple of weeks to heal.

If she’s the only one affected, maybe you could separate her until the blisters heal?

Check in her mouth for any lesions just in case.

I think if you spray the blisters with Vetericyn or dab with medi-honey it might help them heal faster.

Fowl Pox is a virus that is usually spread by mosquitos so maybe don’t fret too much about the wild birds. But if you have standing water anywhere near by, maybe go tip it out. Or if there is a pond you need some frogs or fish!

Yes, I agree that your hen has fowl pox. It lasts about a month, and most chickens recover. There is no treatment. Some people paint the scabs with Betadine (povidone iodine) to help dry them up, but that is not required. They may need help to see to eat and drink if scabs cause swelling around the eyes.

Back
Top Bottom