Fox almost ate our chicken

mattschap

Chirping
Sep 5, 2022
Southwestern Ontario, Canada
Hi folks, we just had a fox enter our fenced in back yard and almost caught a chicken until I intervened. Thinking I may need a dog or set some traps. For now chickens are back in there 4' x12' secure run today, but pecking each other on the backs (missing feathers and bare red skin on a different one this time). Also This fox didn't run too far off after I had chased it but was still just sitting in the tall grass about 50 yards away waiting. not scared so much of me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. We just love the free range eggs.

a couple videos of the incident from my surveillance cameras. I May be adding a few more cams now and I have already added "Fox" into the camera systems AI, for confirmation on alerts.

first vid is backyard where it began, second vid is where it continued in the driveway out front.

Oh and snowball seems ok so far, missing a few feathers.

The past year has been a nightmare in my area. Raccoons, fox, possums, weasels. The best deterrent is Quickstrike Fly Bait. A little, say 1/2 teaspoon in a 1/2 cup of cola. Set it in a dish outside of your fence where you saw the fox come in. They like the taste. They fall asleep, then die.

Back
Top Bottom