Fox Attack...

chickneggs

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2013
UpNorth ☀️
A couple days ago, for the first time in the nine years [that I've had chickens], I had a fox attack two of my girls. They're okay; they fought the good fight. And one of them is the last of my original chickens at 9 years old. I'm glad she survived, as I did not want that to be her ending... this is suppose to be her move into retirement, foolish fox! 😒🦊

Explaining all of this: while the 9 year old made it out with only lost feathers and a slight bald patch on her back, the other one was left with a slightly arched back and a small limp. I figured when the fox had her in its mouth, it probably damaged her back/hip bone.

Should I be doing anything to help her or hope that she will heal in time and accept her condition if it doesn't get better (and she seems comfortable)? I tried looking at her closer today and she freaked and jumped out of my hands. So not handling her often, I know is best. I don't want her hurting herself extra, trying to escape my grip.

Any advice is appreciated. I love my chickens like pets. ❤️

I'm glad both were able to escape.

It would be a good idea to get a better look at the one that is limping just to be sure there's no wounds that need to be cleaned and treated.
For me, if I didn't find any cuts that needed cleaned/treated, then I would just keep watch on her and see if she improves. She may just be very sore, could have sprained/strained a leg while escaping. Chickens will usually self limit activity so I'm more inclined to let them move about slowly within the flock as long as they are eating/drinking/pooping and not getting picked at.

I'm glad both were able to escape.

It would be a good idea to get a better look at the one that is limping just to be sure there's no wounds that need to be cleaned and treated.
For me, if I didn't find any cuts that needed cleaned/treated, then I would just keep watch on her and see if she improves. She may just be very sore, could have sprained/strained a leg while escaping. Chickens will usually self limit activity so I'm more inclined to let them move about slowly within the flock as long as they are eating/drinking/pooping and not getting picked at.
I heard the ruckus right from the beginning and ran out (with no shoes on; thankfully, I was dressed) and was yelling at the fox to drop the chicken. I was close enough to the fox, it's fur was touching my pant leg. I had nothing to grab to swing at the fox, so I was hoping it would have dropped the chicken as I was running at it. Dang fox couldn't care less of me (I now have a baseball bat by my door - thank you, Amazon). But this was the first chicken [with the limp]. It does not seem like the fox's teeth penetrated through the feathers (thank the Lord for the chicken's winter coat!) and just took some feathers out of her. But I will try checking her for any wounds. Lol She isn't the tamest chicken for handling...

Thank you so much for your reply. 😌

...Oh and after a few long seconds, the fox dropped her in front of me. I looked at her quickly, but then I heard squawks from WAY in the woods, to look up and see my older chicken in the foxes mouth (I'm not sure why she was so far in the woods; from the feather pattern, I think she may have raced out there when the fox came into the yard). I left the first chicken, this time yelling for the second chicken, and rushed, shoeless, into the woods. Thankfully the fox let her go as soon as I approached. I was able to check her over for wounds and despite her losing more feathers than the first, she seemed to be okay. Won't lie... after I tucked her under my arm, walking back to the coop, I totally cheered on the second chicken as she is 9 years old and survive her first attack. Great day for Queenie the chicken. But long story made short, the first chicken actually went and hid while I rushed out to Queenie, but by noon, I found her and had all 7 chickens back in the coop, safe. That is the last time I let my girls free range in the morning (or anytime) without me present, since I know the fox will be back...

Hope it just a sprain and she'll show improvement over the course of several days.

I'm so glad you were able to chase the Fox off! I "think" this time of year is when females have kits, so they are very much on the lookout for a meal to feed their young (and themselves), so likely more active during the day. Not defending the Fox, I've lost to Fox and Coyote both, so...uggh! Everything likes chicken.

Hope it just a sprain and she'll show improvement over the course of several days.

I'm so glad you were able to chase the Fox off! I "think" this time of year is when females have kits, so they are very much on the lookout for a meal to feed their young (and themselves), so likely more active during the day. Not defending the Fox, I've lost to Fox and Coyote both, so...uggh! Everything likes chicken.
Pretty sure the fox was back this morning... only thing is, the chickens were not afraid of whatever was showing on the camera (zooming in made it blurry) and I figured the chickens would take refuge in the coop if the fox showed up outside the run's area... But it looked like the size of the fox!

I did get help looking for wounds on the black chicken today and yes, she has an open sore above her vent area - no sign of blood though; even dried blood. I put some Vetericyn Plus in it and around it. Hopefully it helps heal it, despite the few days that have passed... She has been slightly more active today.

Back
Top Bottom