Fox attack

trista85

Songster
6 Years
Oct 1, 2017
South Royalton, VT
I found my polish hen in the grass yesterday afternoon with what is clearly a fox bite (we’ve seen it around, and it took another bird already) but she is alive. I brought her in, cleaned the bite and put antiseptic on it. I have been giving her water with electrolytes with a syringe, tried dipping her beak but she wouldn’t drink that way. She has refused food.
She’s very quiet, listless, but alive. If I try to give her water she “wakes up” - opens her eyes, etc, but then she goes right back to being still and quiet.
Is she in shock? I thought maybe she had a broken neck but she did hold her head up on her own last night - but not this morning.
Is this a wait and see situation or should I put her down? Is there something else I should do?

Hi! Can you offer her raw yolk? It's recommended that you keep your chicken in semi dark for first 24 hours after attack. Offer sweetened water and keep her warm. Clean the wound twice a day with saline, then cover with plain antibiotic ointment. See if she has any other injuries, it's strange that fox didn't take her.

Not a super expert here but does seem like shock-I have heard electrolytes are good for a bird at this stage and keeping her in a calm low lit place. Good luck!

I found my polish hen in the grass yesterday afternoon with what is clearly a fox bite (we’ve seen it around, and it took another bird already) but she is alive. I brought her in, cleaned the bite and put antiseptic on it. I have been giving her water with electrolytes with a syringe, tried dipping her beak but she wouldn’t drink that way. She has refused food.
She’s very quiet, listless, but alive. If I try to give her water she “wakes up” - opens her eyes, etc, but then she goes right back to being still and quiet.
Is she in shock? I thought maybe she had a broken neck but she did hold her head up on her own last night - but not this morning.
Is this a wait and see situation or should I put her down? Is there something else I should do?
How is she doing?
Do you have photos of her wounds?

I'd work on getting her hydrated, sugar water or electrolytes to get her through shock.

You mention she's not holding her head up, this may be due to soreness, but I would be concerned since she's a crested bird she may have suffered some head trauma. I'd start her on vitamin therapy to help offer neurological support. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Give her some egg or tuna which will help with the uptake of E.

Back
Top Bottom