Fox maybe?

momof3

Songster
12 Years
Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
Would a fox take a duck back to its den? Something took one of our ducks last night. On my way home today I see the duck laying on the ground near our neighbors pond. Now whatever took it carried it through the woods and across a pasture then just dropped it. Something has been getting our chickens and ducks slowly. I shut the chickens up at night. The ducks won't go in. Now I'm going to be chasing them down and putting them in tonight. Do you think its a fox? It comes sometimes at night and sometimes in the late afternoon.

Could be a racoon or any number of wild or feral predators. They would take a duck back to a den, however it may be a young fox/coyote that's not up to snuff yet when it comes to hunting. Get a cheep game camera and set it up by the pond.

I just read last night in Hobby Farms Chickens by Sue Weaver the fox almost always gets the blame and is usually not the culprit. But you never know for sure unless you see it. I lost one hen no trace but a very few feathers. Then 4 mon. later caught a Red tailed hawk in the act. So he got blamed for both. Now scared to free range. And they are not happy girls.

Maybe its more then one kind of predator. I did see a fox a couple of months ago not too far from our house. I have been lucky. I have had chickens for 2 1/2 years here and this is the first time I've lost some to predators. Now everyone gets shut up and our dog runs at night. Maybe that will solve it.

Back
Top Bottom