Frankencoop

I understand you are trying to help, however your manner and tact that you display comes off as cocky and overly critical. Instead of trying to flex your knowledge and use your experience as a point of ethos that is unquestionable, offer advice on what you would do to make it bigger. Then myself being the receiver of your points can make my choice on what to do with it. Keeping animals is no strange thing to us. I hand raised our parrot in the photo (something significantly more difficult than raising chickens).

In short advice and constructive critiques: accepted.

Snarky remarks from percieved superiority:
not so much.

Measurements 56 x 28 x 36
I think he really was trying to help...I think YOU are the one being sarcastic and snarky...

The cabinet might seem like a good idea, but it’s really a waste of good furniture. Build your own coop to provide adequate ventilation, roosting, and nest boxes with a little roaming space for when birds can’t get out of the coop. And I’m just a bit confused, because you asked for our advice but when it was freely given by one of our most knowledgeable members, you perceived she was talking “down” to you. That’s not the case and I’m sorry if you were offended. Perhaps reading through the Coop building threads would be helpful. BTW: welcome to BYC! :frow
TOTALLY AGREE. We started backyard chicken keeping 4 years ago and there was a LOT to learn. One thing is always go bigger than you first think. I also agree with those here that said that cabinet is a BAD idea for a coop. I think she will shortly discover that and then you have to start all over. Just trying to help like everyone here.

I understand you are trying to help, however your manner and tact that you display comes off as cocky and overly critical. Instead of trying to flex your knowledge and use your experience as a point of ethos that is unquestionable, offer advice on what you would do to make it bigger. Then myself being the receiver of your points can make my choice on what to do with it. Keeping animals is no strange thing to us. I hand raised our parrot in the photo (something significantly more difficult than raising chickens).

In short advice and constructive critiques: accepted.

Snarky remarks from percieved superiority:
not so much.

Measurements 56 x 28 x 36
He is trying to help. He sent great links! The coop process is confusimg, basically whatever you think you need multiply that by 2 or 4. I get a coop that was supposed to accomdate 15 girls. I had issues with 9 in there. 7 was perfect. I could sqush more in but there would be fighting,sleeping in nesting boxes which lead to pasty butt. Etc etc

People have different tactics when raising parrots. You can keep a large bird in a smaller cage provided they spend significant amounts of time outside the cage. You have provided criticism but nothing actually constructive, not only that you glazed over 2 details that ive said. When the time comes if it needs to be bigger altering this is no large task, chickens will be free ranged spending the night hours in coop.
Depending on where you live free ranging might be very doable or it might turn out you have more predators than you anticipated. One the girls are in the yard you realize how much nonsense they can get themselves into. I recommend supervised free ranging. My girls got into a lot of trouble!!

He is trying to help. He sent great links! The coop process is confusimg, basically whatever you think you need multiply that by 2 or 4. I get a coop that was supposed to accomdate 15 girls. I had issues with 9 in there. 7 was perfect. I could sqush more in but there would be fighting,sleeping in nesting boxes which lead to pasty butt. Etc etc
You are so right, lol! BTW, can you explain why sleeping in nest boxes leads to pasty butt?? I never heard that!

BTW, can you explain why sleeping in nest boxes leads to pasty butt?? I never heard that!
It doesn't, just dirty eggs and nest bedding.
Laying age birds rarely get pasty butt, it's mostly a new chick thing,
butt(haha) if they do it's due to diet and/or digestive issues.

1) Coop still isn't finished

2) It was just assumed I had no intention of making it bigger.

3) No advice was offered, just criticism with no constructive feedback.

4) Chickens will be free ranged and not confined to a run.

5) I appreciate advice, but snarky one ups and critiques without substance don't help or give me anything to go off of.

I.E I'm a pilot. When I get flight training and I do something wrong my instructor:
A) Tells me what I did wrong
B) Debriefs what was going through my. mind
C) Tells me what I need to do to fix it.
D) Then gives me advice on what works for him.

Telling me it's too small and then trying to eek in the last word isnt exactly helpful.
A) you're not using forums right.
B) not sure whats going on in your mind other than your frustrated at not hearing what you want.
C ) read the threads and do some research and find most of what you need then post to fill in whats needed.
D ) I started with what the basic requirements for housing and caring for birds, what i had to work with and what my design and start up costs would be. If i was ok with the loss will be in free ranging and lack of armored coop and run. All of these things are and have been talked about on here. I read and picked my plan of action.
When i do post my plan and get feed back i'm grateful that someone took the time to reply snarky or not and may have better insight than i and give a good look before dismissing them. Even if i do dismiss them or find them snarky i keep it to myself or the forum may just dismiss me. Class dismissed.

Figured id share what wife and I have done for a coop.

We went to habitat for humanity and found this pretty hefty sized cabinet. Which we have been changing into a coop. It'll be on our covered porch so rain shouldn't be an issue. 30 bucks for the cabinet and etc wood cost another 20. I'll share more pics when finished.
I bet that it would look nice when it's finished. The type of coop that you need to create is built depending on where you live so I can imagine the need.

Back
Top Bottom