Free mulch questions

Yogimama

Chirping
Apr 17, 2022
Central NYS
My town is offering free mulch, and I’m getting ready to set up my run etc so it would be perfect timing for me to grab some.

A few questions...

no way to guarantee what it is, or that there isn’t cedar in it. Is that ok or should I go buy pine/hay?

Is it ok that mulch is not dry/aged? (they just started brush pick up this past week, so everything there will have been shredded within the last week or so)

For what it’s worth, my chickens aren’t even here yet, and will be teeny tiny when they do arrive, so it will be weeks before any of them are in the run.

Thanks!

no way to guarantee what it is, or that there isn’t cedar in it. Is that ok or should I go buy pine/hay?
Large amounts of cedar in enclosed spaces are more likely to be a problem.

Small amounts of cedar, mixed with other kinds of wood, in nice airy spaces (like an outdoor run) should not be an issue.

If you are thinking of using the mulch in the brooder or inside the coop (enclosed spaces), I would probably take a sniff to see if it smells strongly of cedar (or of anything else!) If it has a strong smell, I would use it outdoors only.

Large amounts of cedar in enclosed spaces are more likely to be a problem.

Small amounts of cedar, mixed with other kinds of wood, in nice airy spaces (like an outdoor run) should not be an issue.

If you are thinking of using the mulch in the brooder or inside the coop (enclosed spaces), I would probably take a sniff to see if it smells strongly of cedar (or of anything else!) If it has a strong smell, I would use it outdoors only.
I did not plan on using inside the coop at this time. Thank you!

That's a wonderful resource! The mulch can age on your property just fine. Until it's fully dry you can spread THIN layers to dry in place.

Also, if your run has vegetation, let them have the fun of destroying it first before you start adding the wood chips.
I’ll spread it thin then, thanks!
Unfortunately it’s a part of our yard we already had scraped, so it’s bare dirt right now...no fun grass for them to destroy :(

Back
Top Bottom