Free range and commercial feed

Vaughnr007

Songster
6 Years
Dec 23, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Question about feeding commercial feed to free range fowl. Ive got free ranging chickens and of course guineas. Right now I fill feeder with all flock feed and let it sit out all day. The fowl have a choice of when and how much they want/need. I've got 11 hens and 4 roosters(2 got to market this Saturday). The guineas are 4 rooster and 3 hens.
Any suggestions besides adding calcium?

Question about feeding commercial feed to free range fowl. Ive got free ranging chickens and of course guineas. Right now I fill feeder with all flock feed and let it sit out all day. The fowl have a choice of when and how much they want/need. I've got 11 hens and 4 roosters(2 got to market this Saturday). The guineas are 4 rooster and 3 hens.
Any suggestions besides adding calcium?
Are you looking for opinions on actual brands of feed, or what to offer them in addition to feed?

They normally hit the feeder as soon as they are let out of the coop. Most of the day they free range in the pasture or woods until about a hour before dark. Then I call them for some wild bird seed. Both chickens and guineas come running for the treats. They stick around and eventually go to the coop.

Free choice feeding free range poultry is pretty standard and likely a good approach. Some try to only feed at certain times of day to “get them to eat more free stuff” but that can create risk of nutritional imbalances.

^^^ has the right of it.

I free range, and provide something like*** an "All Flock" feed (20% protein, around 3.5% fiber) plus free choice oyster shell and grit. Most days, I don't close the run, so they can free range essentially constantly.

I feed only once daily, in the evening, to get them to come back towards the coops, so I can do a bahavior/obvious injury check, and a head count. Feeding in the evening pretty well ensures that breeds like CX (which I once had) will leave the coop to try and free range during the day.

To help avoid nutritional imbalances, I am aggressively working "my acres of weeds" to ensure a substantial variety of options for my birds to graze on, coming into season at various times of year, and I don't plant "crops" - the field is heavily interspersed with differing species.

Also, I cull roughly weekly, so I can get up inside my birds and judge if there are any obvious dietary issues - how are the fat layers, liver condition, crop contents, etc...

Also, I cull roughly weekly, so I can get up inside my birds and judge if there are any obvious dietary issues - how are the fat layers, liver condition, crop contents, etc...

@U_Stormcrow to his flock: I feed with an eye towards your long term health.

Chicken: Oh good...that really makes me feel bette...

@U_Stormcrow: In my book, "long term health" is X weeks.

Chicken: :eek:

@U_Stormcrow to his flock: I feed with an eye towards your long term health.

Chicken: Oh good...that really makes me feel bette...

@U_Stormcrow: In my book, "long term health" is X weeks.

Chicken: :eek:
its so so true!!! and yet I pay more attnetion to what I feed my birds than many do.

Healthy birds weigh more at butcher, and taste better!

Back
Top Bottom