"free range"--let's get rid of this nonsense term

Pics
My chickens (when I was in Ohio) got to truly free range. We didn't have them fenced in in any way. I found they never went terribly far but stayed on the 3-6 acres closest to their coop. That said I agree the grocery/marketing use of the term is a gimmick to make people feel warm and fuzzy....

"free range." ---Your chickens can leave where you live and never come back because you live in an area with no fences...agreed..."free range."

not "free range"---you have any defined area whether it be 1 acre or 1000 acres of space with fences to keep your chickens from "free ranging"...that's basically a chicken "run."

doesn't matter either way...the term "free range" is worthless and mostly annoying. every time i hear it i instantly know the person i am dealing with just bought their first chickens.

"free range" is for the conglomerate egg sellers as a marketing ploy. i encourage you to eliminate this terminology.

the advantage that you all have is farm fresh nutritious eggs...because what you feed them is what matters. "free range" is the least essential part and that's why they market this...because....that's what costs the least...to upsell their product.
I’m relatively new to chickens. Had some years ago for a couple of years. I have some now. Never put much thought into the term. Just use it when I am referring to letting them out of their designated run. Good point 😄

I have a fully fenced, chain link, half acre for my less-than-a-dozen flock. When I let them out of the coop in the morning, leaving the door open for their return, they have free range of the property. One hen loves to 'hop' the fence and visit the neighbors, (who have never complained), as she's taken a fancy to their tiny kikiriki rooster. She's probably laying over there too, and that's alright, she's gotta pay her board... don'tcha know.
So yeah, it's fenced... AND they have free reign to travel as they please.

The only way your eggs are coming from real free ranged chickens is if they're from a small farm. I don't believe anyone selling on a commercial scale of hundreds to thousands of dozens are ever letting their chickens out of the barn. Me, I free range my chickens. The only thing they aren't allowed in right now is the garden. But the garden is fenced in, not the chickens.

When we let our chickens free range, they remain within about a half acre although they could go about half a mile in any direction without finding other people’s dwellings. To me free range means they can range freely. But they have no desire to get lost or go too far. View attachment 2703061
Sue! I'm looking for someone like you. If you would please, answer a few questions?

1. How long have you had your flock. Meaning Meaning same birds, not just how long have you been keeping chickens.
2. Do they get parasites(lungworm, coccidiosis)?
3. Do you test for those?
4. If they do get those, how often? How often do you treat for those parasites?

Thanks. Semi free range here with continual issues of lungworm and now coccidiosis. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sue! I'm looking for someone like you. If you would please, answer a few questions?

1. How long have you had your flock. Meaning Meaning same birds, not just how long have you been keeping chickens.
2. Do they get parasites(lungworm, coccidiosis)?
3. Do you test for those?
4. If they do get those, how often? How often do you treat for those parasites?

Thanks. Semi free range here with continual issues of lungworm and now coccidiosis. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
Hi, the chickens in that photo were about 2 yrs old. They never got sick or had parasites. But I didn’t test for parasites, I saw no reason to. I think it would depend on your particular environment. At this time, we don’t let the flock out to free range at all because of hawk issues. I sold those chickens, and have their descendants.

Back
Top Bottom