Free Range question

Jan 2, 2021
Hi everybody I didn’t really know where to put this so I put it here.
We have been landscaping our yards o we haven’t been able to free range lately. While my neighbors was gone for spring break I took care of their birds. Their birds free range every day from 8-4. in February one of their birds was taken by a hawk. And that got me thinking, we get lots of hawks around my house, and the occasiona raccoon or fisher. My dog would also go fro a chicken with out hesitation. I know there will always be some risk of an attack, but does anybody have any ways they keep predators away?
Ps. Most days Im not home for most if the day so me watching them isn’t really a possibility.

Racoons are a problem mostly at night. I know. Coyotes and foxes will snatch anytime. Hawks, are day time.

I have had good luck with day time predation with a good rooster. Not all roosters are good roosters. A rooster that is about a year old, is best, before a year old, not much good. If you can get one raised in a multi-generational flock, that has been free ranged that is best!

A run that allows the whole flock to be in lock down for 24/7 is very important. Because as stated above, once they find you, they come back.

I also do not let them out on a daily routine, predators pick up on routines. Sometimes I let them out int the morning, sometimes in the afternoon, and sometimes not at all. I don't let them out is there is a lot of wind, or real cloudy days - gives too much advantage to the predators.

I love to let them out, but if you do, you are going to loose some, sometimes all... it is the worst part of chickens. AND THEY ALWAYS get your FAVORITE bird.

Mrs K

Racoons are a problem mostly at night. I know. Coyotes and foxes will snatch anytime. Hawks, are day time.

I love to let them out, but if you do, you are going to loose some, sometimes all... it is the worst part of chickens. AND THEY ALWAYS get your FAVORITE bird.
Yah, thats a down..

What type of chickens do you have? If they're bantams, the hawks absolutely will eat them and there's no way to stop that if you're free-ranging.

ALL birds of prey in the US and Australia are protected by law, so there's no way to legally relocate them or "take care" of them.

If your chickens are nice big breeds, you'd probably be OK depending on the type of hawk. In Australia, our wedgetailed eagles will eat a chicken of any size and are known to eat geese too. Our goshawks tend to stick to the bantams.

What type of chickens do you have? If they're bantams, the hawks absolutely will eat them and there's no way to stop that if you're free-ranging.

ALL birds of prey in the US and Australia are protected by law, so there's no way to legally relocate them or "take care" of them.

If your chickens are nice big breeds, you'd probably be OK depending on the type of hawk. In Australia, our wedgetailed eagles will eat a chicken of any size and are known to eat geese too. Our goshawks tend to stick to the bantams.
I have two Silkie bantams one of them spends most and summer being broody ( the dumber of the pair). The other bantam is an OEGB sshe is faster and smarter than the silkies, and can acctually see. The other 14 birds are all standard sized.

Back
Top Bottom