Free range question

the distance at which chickens will free range increases with their comfort. mine generally stick within 100 ft of the barn. but if i am out working in the woods? they are underfoot. same when i work on the house, 300 feet away. they stand around what will be the driveway, chomping fresh greens and bugs.
Ok I will be around some but not all the time so I guess I’ll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for your help!

So in a couple of weeks I’m going to start working full days on my parents tree farm so I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on free ranging my 12 chickens. When I start working I think they’ll be around 9 to 10 weeks old. I tried letting him out one hour before sunset one night this week. They didn’t go more than 25 feet from the coop. I have a dog who doesn’t seem to care much about them and a cat who does kill a lot of stuff but hasn’t really shown any interest in them. My coop is in a fairly open place so predators are not a huge concern to me but still there. What are all you guys opinions? Yes? No?
I think a lot will depend on your dog. Has she ever guarded before? It’s pretty instinctive in the herding breeds. I’d certainly suggest getting a video camera going so you can monitor and review what’s going on when you’re at work. Even just a cheap trail cam. Please share your experience down the road.

I think a lot will depend on your dog. Has she ever guarded before? It’s pretty instinctive in the herding breeds. I’d certainly suggest getting a video camera going so you can monitor and review what’s going on when you’re at work. Even just a cheap trail cam. Please share your experience down the road.
My dog usually chases birds but hasn’t really bothered the chickens. I’ve been free ranging from around noon to bed time everyday. Going to keep increasing the time. My dog is gone with us usually all day and comes back to the house when we do but I have kept a watchful eye

Back
Top Bottom