free ranging chickens

I too didn’t let mine free range any longer than about an hour before sunset until they were laying so that they learned to lay in the nest boxes. Now they are a year old and they free range for about half the day most days. We are in south tx on 19 acres so naturally have lots of predators around but I have only lost 2 so far to what I think was a pair of foxes the day after the bad freeze/snow storms here in February. They were hungry and must have decided getting closer to the house was worth the risk. They got 2 of our leghorns that were out of our yard. Our house has a fenced yard of about an acre within our 19 acres and only the leghorns ever go outside our fenced yard into the brush, I guess because they are light and can fly the best. They all come back if I call them for treats or if I leave them alone they come back on their own at sunset. We had a broody hatch and raise chicks this spring and she brought them out to free range at 3 days old. I was shocked but she was a good mama hen and we still have all 7 chicks! I love letting mine free range, I wouldn’t have near as much fun watching them if they didn’t. But I do understand it comes with risks and am ok with that. They seem to be much happier as a flock when they get to be out. Good luck with your flock and enjoy watching your chicken tv! :)

Are all of your chickens about 5 weeks old?
If so I would let them free range with my supervision, only at first. You will need to teach them where they can go and where you want them to stay out of, like no road. I had to teach no road and no next door neighbor gardens. Roosters are really good when it comes to help with this. Decide what calls you will use to mean what, stay consistent, reward with a few treats. Use the treats for rewards and they will learn quickly, but you have to work with them regularly, like daily right now. Chickens are smart they learn fast and can be manipulative.
Work hard with them and eventually you will be able to let them free range at will. As you get more chickens, the older hens and if you have a rooster, the littles will learn from them.
Good luck. :hugs
I would try no woods if you can keep them out.
Just curious, why no woods? Possibly because of foxes and Raccoons?

Back
Top Bottom