Free ranging where not wanted

Farmerette6

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 16, 2013
Hello!
We are having problems with our chickens going places we don't want them to go. I am about ready to either get rid of them :( or fence them in. We have 40 acres for them to roam. However they seem to love the driveway! It is gravel. I would think the grass would be softer for them but they continually are in the drive. They poop all over the drive. They go around the barn (that is hubby's workshop not a chicken barn) on the cars that are parked by said barn and in the flower beds too! We constantly shoo them away but they come back. I have talked with them to no avail :)
So how can I keep them out of my drive and places like that but not lock them up all the time.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions or advice.

Frustrated Farmerette!

I direct ranging habits through how vegetation is managed, as well as placement of feeding stations and waters. Not sexy by way of forcing my will, and may not be doable in a couple of hours, but outcome is consistent.

Hello!
We are having problems with our chickens going places we don't want them to go. I am about ready to either get rid of them :( or fence them in. We have 40 acres for them to roam. However they seem to love the driveway! It is gravel. I would think the grass would be softer for them but they continually are in the drive. They poop all over the drive. They go around the barn (that is hubby's workshop not a chicken barn) on the cars that are parked by said barn and in the flower beds too! We constantly shoo them away but they come back. I have talked with them to no avail :)
So how can I keep them out of my drive and places like that but not lock them up all the time.

Thanks in advance for any/all suggestions or advice.

Frustrated Farmerette!
I will show you mine, if you show me yours.

See thread linked below.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...in-american-dominiques.1019004/#post-15801080

Image below represents about 1/3 of my property and the entire area the birds currently forage. I am certain most people have very different properties, but what I show can demonstrate what the chickens will use if they have a choice.
JPEG_X3_10_9_19_ 2019 November 12 0.0625.jpg

I also have some acreage well beyond what the free-range birds actually use. Very little is actually fenced and only the poultry netting actually keeps some of the chickens confined or excluded. American Dominiques respect fencing, American Games do not.

The birds focus foraging on areas that are boarders between short and tall vegetation. The forage is sufficient to keep close to 2 dozen hens in lay without use of feed. Use of feed is just as much a control / guidance measure helping to keep birds where I want them. Generally, they spend very little time in the more open area with short grass unless and insect hatch of some sort going on or I scatter scratch in there.

Back
Top Bottom