Freezing eggs for later use

I have done this for years. I freeze them two ways:
  • take a dozen eggs, and mix them up slowly. You don't want a lot of air beaten into them, but you do want them mixed together, add a tsp of sugar to them. Pour into 12 muffin tins and freeze, pop out and put in plastic bag. When you bake, just grab the number of muffins that you need.
  • I have a large family - and they often come home, so I do gallon freezer bags for scrambled eggs - stir up 12-18 eggs, + 1-2 tsp salt, put in freezer bag, remove all of the air, seal and freeze flat (will thaw faster).
This next year, I am going to try storing them in lime water - not in the freezer. I am always a bit short of freezer space. Those eggs I am told can be used for anything except hard boiled eggs.

I have done this for years. I freeze them two ways:
  • take a dozen eggs, and mix them up slowly. You don't want a lot of air beaten into them, but you do want them mixed together, add a tsp of sugar to them. Pour into 12 muffin tins and freeze, pop out and put in plastic bag. When you bake, just grab the number of muffins that you need.
  • I have a large family - and they often come home, so I do gallon freezer bags for scrambled eggs - stir up 12-18 eggs, + 1-2 tsp salt, put in freezer bag, remove all of the air, seal and freeze flat (will thaw faster).
This next year, I am going to try storing them in lime water - not in the freezer. I am always a bit short of freezer space. Those eggs I am told can be used for anything except hard boiled eggs.
What does the sugar do? Would it affect the process if I'm using the eggs for baking where there isn't sugar added in the instructions?

What does the sugar do? Would it affect the process if I'm using the eggs for baking where there isn't sugar added in the instructions?
Sugar or salt is not necessary if you are scrambling the whole egg then freezing. If you are separating the egg and freezing just the yolks, sugar or salt will help keep them from turning into a gelatinous mess that is just a blob of goo. I normally freeze the equivalent of a dozen chicken eggs mixing goose and chicken eggs. Made the mistake of throwing the extra goose eggs in the freezer without scrambling while I waited for the chickens to catch up. What a disgusting mess. The goose eggs just floated on the top of the batter and would not blend no matter what I did. Had to strain the batter (about 2 gallons) to remove the floaties to save it.
1 tsp sugar or salt is not going to change the taste or cooking properties in a dozen eggs but it's also not necessary if you scramble the eggs well.

Back
Top Bottom