Frizzle pekin with very brittle feathers and soft shell eggs

Kelnobbs

Chirping
Jul 24, 2019
Hi I have a frizzle pekin who is about 18 months possibly a bit older. She was doing really well then we noticed she was looking a bit rough, thought she might be having a hard time with a moult, gave her extra vitamins, a good layer feed and extra fruit and veg etc. oyster shell And crushed egg shell, then we noticed she was laying soft shell eggs or eggs with very very fragile shell, you can’t even pick them up without them Crushing. She was given scrambled eggs, mealworms etc to try and help boost her but now her feathers are all thin, brittle and snapping off, she doesn’t look frazzle but I can’t remember what breeder I got her from to ask if it’s possible. I’ve joined a frazzled group on Facebook and they say she’s not frazzle but I don’t know what else could be going wrong? Anyone have any odea or had this same issue? Otherwise she’s happy and eating and drinking fine. Been treated with ivermectin, no lice or mites, not being bullied and jo cockerel.
Any tips would be gratefully received IMG_7486.jpeg IMG_7487.jpeg IMG_7495.jpeg IMG_7500.jpeg IMG_7497.jpeg IMG_7499.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't know but it sounds like you are doing everything right. I wouldnt throw out Frazzle genetics as a possibility. I raised frizzles and have never had this issue.

I don't know but it sounds like you are doing everything right. I wouldnt throw out Frazzle genetics as a possibility. I raised frizzles and have never had this issue.
It’s the only thing I can think of, I dont understand genetics but is it possible to get frazzles that aren’t as bad as other? Maybe hers has only just started to show and will get worse over time? Is the soft shell egg thing related to the feather issue? Could it be that she is unable to absorb calcium maybe?

It’s the only thing I can think of, I dont understand genetics but is it possible to get frazzles that aren’t as bad as other? Maybe hers has only just started to show and will get worse over time? Is the soft shell egg thing related to the feather issue? Could it be that she is unable to absorb calcium maybe?
I'm not sure. Did you say she has molted recently? Frizzles take FOREVER to grow back feathers after molting. And maybe you could try dialing back one some of the vitamins and just giving her a high protein chick feed, 19-20% to keep it simple and make sure some sort of nutrient imbalance isn't to blame. If it is diet, the high protein chick feed is excellent for growing feathers and can be fed to adult birds whenever they need a little help with that. Instead of oyster shells, you could try feeding her the eggshells of some of your other chickens with healthy eggs for a good source of calcium. (I've never tried it, but some people will even bake the eggshells first before re-feeding. I usually just give it to them raw. They like the crunch.) You could try a bit of b-12 rooster booster in the water for an extra kick if she seems weak. Have you checked her for mites? That can also make feathers weak and brittle and I've noticed my frizzles seem particularly prone to them and I think it's because the feathers naturally have a weaker anatomy that the mites/live seem to love. They look like this but not always this extreme: Screenshot_20230717-153637.png
Just look at the base of her feathers for any little white dots clinging on. You may be able to even see them moving.

I'm not sure. Did you say she has molted recently? Frizzles take FOREVER to grow back feathers after molting. And maybe you could try dialing back one some of the vitamins and just giving her a high protein chick feed, 19-20% to keep it simple and make sure some sort of nutrient imbalance isn't to blame. If it is diet, the high protein chick feed is excellent for growing feathers and can be fed to adult birds whenever they need a little help with that. Instead of oyster shells, you could try feeding her the eggshells of some of your other chickens with healthy eggs for a good source of calcium. (I've never tried it, but some people will even bake the eggshells first before re-feeding. I usually just give it to them raw. They like the crunch.) You could try a bit of b-12 rooster booster in the water for an extra kick if she seems weak. Have you checked her for mites? That can also make feathers weak and brittle and I've noticed my frizzles seem particularly prone to them and I think it's because the feathers naturally have a weaker anatomy that the mites/live seem to love. They look like this but not always this extreme: View attachment 3580051
Just look at the base of her feathers for any little white dots clinging on. You may be able to even see them moving.
She has access to chick crumb all the time as I keep silkies, I’ve tried the crushed egg shell too. I’ve checked for mites and lice and treated her with ivermectin. Just read that they need vitamin d3 to absorb calcium so ive
Ordered and calcium and vit d3 supplement to add to water. It’s worth a go I think and see what happens

She has access to chick crumb all the time as I keep silkies, I’ve tried the crushed egg shell too. I’ve checked for mites and lice and treated her with ivermectin. Just read that they need vitamin d3 to absorb calcium so ive
Ordered and calcium and vit d3 supplement to add to water. It’s worth a go I think and see what happens
Worth a try! Let me know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom