Frostbit comb?

Htwo

Songster
6 Years
Mar 5, 2018
SWMO, Nixa
Much like the rest of the US, we've had sub-zero temps. I've never given my hens any supplemental heat, as they roost inside a shed. I noticed today that my girl Roxanne has some black rings at the top of her comb. Is this (probably) frostbite? 😭 Should I add a heat lamp for them until temps rise?

Attachments

• 20240116_100737.jpg
    20240116_100737.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 40
That is frostbite. How is your ventilation? Ventilation is ideal, especially with no drafts. I don't recommend a heat lamp, as it is a fire hazard and if you should lose power (or have a breaker flip without your knowledge), then it could be fatal to your flock.

I agree that is moderate frostbite, and will probably result in a more rounded comb on top. Do not put any sprays, creams or ointment on her comb, or rub/massage it. It looks like their roost is near an open window. Can you either remove or lower the roost, so they can roost lower in the coop, or close the window while still providing a little overhead ventilation?

My coop isn't ventilated, officially. It has a southern facing opening (18"x 18") that attached to the covered, outdoor run, and that's it. The opening is on the opposite side of the shed from their roost.

I'm with ya on the heat lamp. I don't want to use it, I just feel so bad for my sweet girl.
That is frostbite. How is your ventilation? Ventilation is ideal, especially with no drafts. I don't recommend a heat lamp, as it is a fire hazard and if you should lose power (or have a breaker flip without your knowledge), then it could be fatal to your flock.

I would put some plastic or nail up some plywood or cardboard over the bottom 2/3’s of that window. Ideally, a small vent high up on both ends of the coop can be good for those really cold nights and days.

Back
Top Bottom