Frozen eggs, one eaten

Nodakj

Songster
Jul 22, 2022
1.45 hrs straight east of Fargo ND
So today was a sub optimal weather day. We had winds around 20 mph with a little snow and blowing snow. High was around 9 . It was coming mostly from the north. My nestboxes are situated on the north side of my coop and the doors are somewhat drafty (with open windows above them). So out of 8 eggs collected today 3 were cracked from being frozen. One nest had parts of an eggshell and the nestbox looks like the egg had smeared around a little bit and had been almost entirely comsumed. I changed out the nesting pad but and will be collecting eggs throughout the day while its still cold out. Do you all think it was just a hen being an opportunistic feeder or need i be worried that we are gonna have egg eaters ? Frankly i am kind of worried. But i do have 2 ceramic eggs per nest and hopefully that will deter them from making it a habit. Only other thing i can realistically do is collect eggs throughout the day and maybe put some curtians up ?
20230226_140917.jpg

If your lucky it was just a one time thing and not gonna become a habit. I would try to collect the eggs more often if there is a chance they might freeze. If the keep freezing and busting it won't take much for the chickens to learn the eggs taste good and start.

Back
Top Bottom