frozen padlocks this morning

I find a light flaming with a blow-torch on the padlock can work wonders. Ditto warming the key in your hand. It's something I have to do quite often in the course of my work.
Pouring hot water over the lock will also thaw it out so you can open it.

Reasons not to do that:
--it makes a wet puddle on the ground right by the door (instant mud, which will then freeze into slippery ice.)
--the wet lock will re-freeze as soon as it gets cold again.
--getting wet makes the lock more prone to rusting.

Reasons in favor of using hot water:
--I don't have a blow torch.
--If I put a dry lock on, and take the wet one into the house to dry, it does not re-freeze.
--if the lock was already getting rained on, it will probably rust anyway, so adding more water will not make much difference.
--Convenience: in cold weather, I am probably carrying a jug of hot water to thaw water dishes, so it seems obvious to use that same hot water on the lock as well.

(I do not have a good answer for the "makes a wet puddle" problem, apart from maybe holding a bucket under the lock while pouring the water.)

I have that same latch and just leave the lock unlocked. I also agree with the self latching can be a problem. Our neighbor got stuck in our run once. She had a cell phone and called for help. In this picture you can see that there are two strings and a wire, hoping that makes it less likely of a problem. I also put in a sturdy ring to also lessen the chance of someone getting trapped. We also have an escape hatch if the latch does break.
lock.JPG

I have that same latch and just leave the lock unlocked. I also agree with the self latching can be a problem. Our neighbor got stuck in our run once. She had a cell phone and called for help. In this picture you can see that there are two strings and a wire, hoping that makes it less likely of a problem. I also put in a sturdy ring to also lessen the chance of someone getting trapped. We also have an escape hatch if the latch does break.
View attachment 3705497
I have the same thing on my run. DH locked me in by accident once. I was yelling & throwing rocks at the windows till he finally came out. :lau I was so mad & he just laughed at me. LOL. Well that won't happen again.

Anyway, I agree with @aart - I hang flaps of material over all the locks/latches/door knobs outside here once it gets cold otherwise all the doors are stuck after a snow or some freezing rain.

I have the same thing on my run. DH locked me in by accident once. I was yelling & throwing rocks at the windows till he finally came out. :lau I was so mad & he just laughed at me. LOL. Well that won't happen again.

Anyway, I agree with @aart - I hang flaps of material over all the locks/latches/door knobs outside here once it gets cold otherwise all the doors are stuck after a snow or some freezing rain.
Is it OK to like your post? ;)

wow so many great ideas!
in my case the self latching locks are ok first of all I only have two chicken hens ,, and i don’t climb up inside their little 4x4 coop lol I just reach in to clean it. & there’s no run attached for me to get trapped…plus i leave the locks hanging in the holes when the little chicken door is open for them to go in and out to lay eggs, so it can’t latch closed on them either.
I do have four padlocks so I am rotating them now I’m bringing them inside and bringing out a fresh one when I need it. Also, I have an idea for flaps. I’ll be working on that. Small blow torches and boiling Water are good Back up emergency methods too in case they do ever freeze again. Thank you so much for all the great ideas. !

Back
Top Bottom