Fully feathered chicks prevented flock mate from eating (wasn't sure where to put this forum)

Anime2lover

Keeper of tiny dinos
Apr 17, 2019
My youngest fully feathered chicks were preventing one of their flockmates. When I found that poor chick, she looked like she would have passed away the next day without any intervention from me. I took her in, made sure she got fluids with hydro hen, and meds in case it was something else. We believe that they stopped her, because as soon as she had a separate bowl of her own inside, she ate like a starved pig the wet mash. And did so for the last few days. She is gaining weight again but isn't ready to go with the rest yet. My question is, why did they do this to her when they have more than enough food available each day??

It is always best to have multiple feed and water stations available for all.
There may be plenty of feed available but is there sufficient feeder space.
Light breeds can be ok with 1" of feeder space per bird to 6 weeks and 2" per bird till18 weeks but heavy breeds need 2" per bird after 1 week and more than 2" per bird after 4 weeks.

It is always best to have multiple feed and water stations available for all.
There may be plenty of feed available but is there sufficient feeder space.
Light breeds can be ok with 1" of feeder space per bird to 6 weeks and 2" per bird till18 weeks but heavy breeds need 2" per bird after 1 week and more than 2" per bird after 4 weeks.
I may end up putting another feeder in with them once we find one available. But they've never starved one another until now. Though wouldn't the one that was blocked while the others were eating, eat after they were all done??

Maybe it never crossed their mind before. Raise chickens long enough and you'll see behavior you never saw before. It is just better to prevent problems in the first place by providing adequate space in the form of square footage and linear feeder and water space. Often that means multiple feed and water stations depending on how many birds.

Maybe
Maybe it never crossed their mind before. Raise chickens long enough and you'll see behavior you never saw before. It is just better to prevent problems in the first place by providing adequate space in the form of square footage and linear feeder and water space. Often that means multiple feed and water stations depending on how many birds.
Said starved chick is regaining weight quickly now though.

When you add another bowl - and it don't have to be fancy... I have used a hub cap, or just poured it on the ground. - But do it behind a hideout, so that a bird eating there cannot be seen by the other birds. I generally have a feed station for every 3-4 birds.

With chickens, being raised together really has very little influence on their behavior. You may have quite a time when you put her back with the others. They are apt to be very aggressive towards her. It would be good now, before you add her back to pick a middle of the flock bird and add her to where you are keeping the victim. They may dust up, but let them settle and try and add the pair back.

What does your run look like? Is it an open rectangle whereas every bird can see every bird 100% of the time? If so add clutter. A LOT OF clutter. pallets leaned against outer walls, roosts, ladders, saw horses, shelters, cardboard boxes, or totes on their sides. Places where a bird can step out of sight of other birds.

And lastly - how many birds, what is the measurement of your space? Often times what was more than enough space for tiny chicks, slowly becomes not enough space for growing birds. They will try and solve the problem by reducing the size of the flock. Some will kill the victim. - So measure and count.

Mrs K

When you add another bowl - and it don't have to be fancy... I have used a hub cap, or just poured it on the ground. - But do it behind a hideout, so that a bird eating there cannot be seen by the other birds. I generally have a feed station for every 3-4 birds.

With chickens, being raised together really has very little influence on their behavior. You may have quite a time when you put her back with the others. They are apt to be very aggressive towards her. It would be good now, before you add her back to pick a middle of the flock bird and add her to where you are keeping the victim. They may dust up, but let them settle and try and add the pair back.

What does your run look like? Is it an open rectangle whereas every bird can see every bird 100% of the time? If so add clutter. A LOT OF clutter. pallets leaned against outer walls, roosts, ladders, saw horses, shelters, cardboard boxes, or totes on their sides. Places where a bird can step out of sight of other birds.

And lastly - how many birds, what is the measurement of your space? Often times what was more than enough space for tiny chicks, slowly becomes not enough space for growing birds. They will try and solve the problem by reducing the size of the flock. Some will kill the victim. - So measure and count.

Mrs K
It's a how out coop we built recently. They do have places where they can go out of sight of each other, though they won't be staying in it all their lives. Their future is to be part of a free range flock. It's not for full time use, though it's not my decision when they actually move to the main flock. I would have divided them up and started the actual introduction by now. I don't know the measurements. I know for some reason, that at night, instead of using the roosts like the did with the indoor brooder, they instead huddle in a corner when the nights haven't even been getting cold enough for their age to need to huddle.

Back
Top Bottom