Funky Eggs - Stress from heat?

HippieAtHeart

Peace, Love & Chickens ✌️
Mar 22, 2020
Southeastern Pennsylvania
What could be causing my hens funky eggs?

She is a buff laced polish hen 1.5 years old and has been laying her little white eggs for a while. I recently posted because she didn’t lay and was acting odd for a week. I gave her some Durvet calcium and she started back to laying normally, however, the eggs are just so mishapened. I have some photos attached of her most recent egg. There looks to be a middle spot calcified over, cracking and is misshapen.

Is it possible the stress causing this to happen is from heat? Could it be my other hen who has been broody for a while in the other nesting box?

I have 7 hens, 1 rooster, 3 nesting boxes next to each other. She was laying in a different section of the coop but now I believe started laying back in the boxes next to my broody hen. My broody I am not letting hatch and has been there for a month and only a few weeks ago did the eggs start to become an issue. It has been super hot lately so wondering if that alone could be causing her to have stress funky eggs?

Any insight would be helpful!

Here are the photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 11
Here is a good article about egg shell quality and possible causes.
@Eggcessive I do not see an article showing up?

I had bookmarked one that showed the egg issues and possible causes - all of which points to stress, however, it doesn't say what can cause the stress that leads to these issues. In your experience what could cause stress in a chicken to lay these kind of eggs?

Opps, I just posted the article. Stress can be from having young cockerels running havoc, a predator scaring them, relocating to a different coop, starting a molt, excessive heat, not enough room, being bullied by another flock member, and other things.

Opps, I just posted the article. Stress can be from having young cockerels running havoc, a predator scaring them, relocating to a different coop, starting a molt, excessive heat, not enough room, being bullied by another flock member, and other things.
Thank you - I’m going to work on getting better ventilation in that section of the coop and see if that doesn’t help her improve her eggs and just keep a further eye on her

What could be causing my hens funky eggs?

She is a buff laced polish hen 1.5 years old and has been laying her little white eggs for a while. I recently posted because she didn’t lay and was acting odd for a week. I gave her some Durvet calcium and she started back to laying normally, however, the eggs are just so mishapened. I have some photos attached of her most recent egg. There looks to be a middle spot calcified over, cracking and is misshapen.

Is it possible the stress causing this to happen is from heat? Could it be my other hen who has been broody for a while in the other nesting box?

I have 7 hens, 1 rooster, 3 nesting boxes next to each other. She was laying in a different section of the coop but now I believe started laying back in the boxes next to my broody hen. My broody I am not letting hatch and has been there for a month and only a few weeks ago did the eggs start to become an issue. It has been super hot lately so wondering if that alone could be causing her to have stress funky eggs?

Any insight would be helpful!
I've had many similarly misshapen eggs this summer. It's been brutally hot here in Arizona and all my birds look really rough from their feathers to their eggs. But at least I didn't lose any to the heat!

Back
Top Bottom