Gambel eggs day 24 no pipping

Jannbo

Chirping
May 19, 2023
So I bought 24 gambel eggs awhile ago and they’ve been incubating for 24 days now. I checked them all before starting incubation and some looked they had quite developing early, but most were still looking good with a decent air pocket at the fat end of the egg. I haven’t heard any noises from the eggs, no movement, or pipping yet. I started lockdown on day 20. Everything I’ve seen says day 23 is when they’ll hatch so I figured I would have started seeing at least 1 pip by now. Should I just leave them be for a few more days? Should I do the water check? It’s my first hatch so I’m thinking I might be over reacting, but I also am a bit worried winding up with a single one not hatching after all this time

It’s a Nuturerite 360 and I have 2 calibrated Govee Bluetooth thermometer/hygrometers inside. Humidity has remained stable but the temperature has fluctuated down to 95 during the day, but it’s been doing that pretty much since the beginning and they’ve still developed so I doubt that’s somehow killed all of them

So I bought 24 gambel eggs awhile ago and they’ve been incubating for 24 days now. I checked them all before starting incubation and some looked they had quite developing early, but most were still looking good with a decent air pocket at the fat end of the egg. I haven’t heard any noises from the eggs, no movement, or pipping yet. I started lockdown on day 20. Everything I’ve seen says day 23 is when they’ll hatch so I figured I would have started seeing at least 1 pip by now. Should I just leave them be for a few more days? Should I do the water check? It’s my first hatch so I’m thinking I might be over reacting, but I also am a bit worried winding up with a single one not hatching after all this time

It’s a Nuturerite 360 and I have 2 calibrated Govee Bluetooth thermometer/hygrometers inside. Humidity has remained stable but the temperature has fluctuated down to 95 during the day, but it’s been doing that pretty much since the beginning and they’ve still developed so I doubt that’s somehow killed all of them
No they aren't dead. What is your humidity at? I hatched about 4 batches of gambel quail eggs about a month ago now, and some of the eggs took till day 26 to hatch. PLEASE DO NOT DO THE FLOAT TEST. I put that in all caps because it is very important you don't do that. If you do you may ruin their chance of hatching as they may drown inside the shell. Also they say "day 23" is when they should hatch, but I would argue that days 24-25 is when they should hatch. I also noticed chicks that hatched early (days 22 and 23) weren't the healthiest and strongest. (FYI gambels quail pips are almost impossible to see. I had to shine a light up against the incubator when I looked for pips.)

Last edited:
No they aren't dead. What is your humidity at? I hatched about 4 batches of gambel quail eggs about a month ago now, and some of the eggs took till day 26 to hatch. PLEASE DO NOT DO THE FLOAT TEST. I put that in all caps because it is very important you don't do that. If you do you may ruin their chance of hatching as they may drown inside the shell. Also they say "day 23" is when they should hatch, but I would argue that days 24-25 is when they should hatch. I also noticed chicks that hatched early (days 22 and 23) weren't the healthiest and strongest. (FYI gambels quail pips are almost impossible to see. I had to shine a light up against the incubator when I looked for pips.)
I was pretty sure I shouldn’t test them with water, I just wanted to be sure from people who have more experience with hatching than I do. Right now the humidity is bouncing between 55-60%. I’ve tried getting it more stable but unfortunately we’re teetering on the start of monsoon season here so getting good humidity control has been a bit difficult. I’ve been keeping an eye on them with a flash light as well cause I had read that you had done that in your hatch along thread. It’s definitely been easier to examine that way. I’ll keep a close eye through day 26-27 and then start to get worried I suppose lol

IMG_2934.jpeg
IMG_2935.jpeg

How many did you end up with?
7 have hatched so far but the first one passed away last night. No idea why as happy as could be yesterday night but this morning it was lifeless. Made sure it didn’t get cold somehow by heating it with a hair dryer but nothing. Right now 5 are in the brooder and one who just hatched with curled toes is still in the incubator now that we have them straighter and held in place. I’m hoping there’ll be a few more at least because about 10 others looked like they were fully developed. I noticed the temps were a bit low this morning so I have them raised up again and hopefully that’ll help them out

Back
Top Bottom