Ganders fighting

Shannon 81

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 5, 2014
Recently our ganders Steve and Jose have been fighting. Tonight Jose was pretty bloody, appeared as if Steve took a chunk out of him near his tail feathers. I separated them and have Jose in a coop alone to heal up. I also noticed that as soon as I put him in the coop he started eating a lot, so I don't think Steve was even letting him eat. We also have two geese, Uni and Rose. Originally it seemed as if Rose was paired with Jose and Uni with Steve, but it looks like Steve now has both of the girls. I plan on keeping them separated but I'm not sure what to do with the girls. Should I put a female with each gander? And if so how do I know which one should go with him, now that it seems as if Steve has them both? This is our first year with geese and our first experience with breeding season and hormones. The geese love my son and my son loves his geese, we really do not want to re-home anyone. Right now I have the three in a large stall in my barn and Jose alone in their coop. We can build a second coop once the weather warms up and separate their fenced in pasture to keep the pairs separate, but any advice until then is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I would separate the girls and pair Rose with Jose considering they had a connection to begin with.
You could have supervised visits with the two groups so they aren’t completely isolated and separate them if they fight.
Sometime in late spring to summer, they should start calming down and you can start re-integrating them. Usually by the time they molt they’re done with the crazy hormones for the season.

Breeding season makes ganders crazy, they’ll fight, but if it’s to the point that one is isolated and being starved you have to intervene. If they can’t learn to get along even after they’ve molted then you need to consider permanent separation or re-homing.

Ok, thank you very much for your response, it was very helpful. I will put Rose with Jose and keep the two pairs separated.

It is the season. Love this conversation. Young ganders first breeding season its about the win. Older ganders have already spent a season then a summer then go into the nest season with the "She is mine" mentality. Most of my older ganders just protect what is there's and there's hens are loyal. But first year ganders seem to have more hormones than common sense.
I have one small pen right now with one 2 year girl a 1 year girl and 2 first year Ganders. When there in the pasture during the day the boys have thoughtful but there momentary. But if i lock them up in the same stall for the night feathers every were.
So I can only tell you what Im going to do. Separate at night each with a girl and together during the day.
I have 2 other pens each have allot more geese in them and this behavior dosent happen. The reason is there are seasoned ganders and devoted geese in there. The young boys have to work at getting a girls attention or take on one of the big boys. The big boys are this one is mine and as long as you dont push the wrong button your ok! So the young boys tread lightly.
Welcome to middle school!

Back
Top Bottom