Geese Advice Welcome

pjsfarm

Chirping
Mar 21, 2018
Minnesota
Goodmorning,
Last spring I purchased 2 geese. 1 Pilgrim Gander and 1 American Buff Goose. They both passed unexpectedly that fall. I have eliminated every factor and have come down to 2 reasons they could have passed:

Coccidia OR Nutrients Deficiency

Since they have passed I have looked over everything and gone through my feeding, deworming and nutrition supplements. I have a new deworming schedule in place that has been going well with my ducks and chickens.

Deworming Schedule:
Corid -
Ever 3 Months (4 times a year)
On 5 days, off 5 days, on 5 days (in their water)

I also have been using electrolytes and probiotics once, every other week in their water. My dosing for this is below what is recommended on the package, unless I think more is needed.
Ex: Frigid Temps, Bad Weather or someone in the flock is looking rough.

Diet:
The entire flock is being fed -
- All Flock(Pellets) 18% Protein
- Layer Feed(Crumble) 16% Protein
(This is mixed together as a 50/50 ration)
- Homemade Scratch, fed in moderation as a treat -
Whole Oats, Cracker corn, Sunflower seeds, Safflower seeds, Oyster Shells, Mealworms, rolled oats and peanuts.
(Everything listed is mixed in a large tote and they aren't given more then 2c per day for a flock of 18+ birds)
- During Spring, Summer, Fall they have free choice to roam our enitre property (12acres) and free feed on anything they please = plenty of grass for geese.
- During winter they are also given many fresh vegetables and fruit several times a week. (They aren't given anything that isn't approved from the lists I have found on here)

Plans for new Geese:
(arriving end of April)
- All Flock 18% Protein
- Homemade Scratch (In moderation, only as a treat)
- Free Range Pasture (Spring, Summer, Fall)
- Fresh Vegetables and Fruit (Winter Only)
- Deworming Schedule Listed above
- Electrolytes and Probiotics listed above
- They will be housed with my ducks
- Access to water 24/7

Questions for the new Geese:

• Any suggestions for their Diet?
• Would it be okay to feed them the Layer Feed?
• Is there anything Else I can be doing to help ensure I am raising them properly?

Any helpful advice is Welcome!
IMG_20180612_201704_051.jpg

Corid is treatment for coccidiosis not for worming.

Goslings should not be feed layer too much calcium. Safe guard for goats and Valbazen are the two wormers rec. But water fowl have a high resistance to parasites because of high body temperature 107* so internal parasites are that common unless they are kept in horrid conditions which with having 12 acre of land to forage on doesn't sound like it. External can be kept at bay with bathing. Not saying they can't and don't get internal and external but no need to worm more than 1-2X a year @RURU always rec right before breeding season in her geese.

I’ve never had geese before, but I love samantha the goose from the 1956 movie friendly persuasion! I’m not sure what type she is, but would love to get a goose and gander like her. Her is a photo of her.

Attachments

• 0CDABBA4-1258-4C3B-9C90-CE0317024BE5.jpeg
    0CDABBA4-1258-4C3B-9C90-CE0317024BE5.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom