Geese and Strong Odors

A Couple of Geese

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2021
I've been reading all over about the things toxic to geese and how easy it seems to be to expose birds to dangerous chemicals.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer on this, but I use things like Clorox wipes in the same room they are in at night (not directly in their pen). We also have some small air fresheners around the house. How concerned should I be here with these things?

They are in the basement at night in their pen. This room is connected to the washer and dryer area, and it seems the smell of laundry detergent can be pretty strong while it's running. Is this something to be concerned about?

Thank you for the help!

It's great that you're aware of the potential health risks posed by chemicals, including those used in fragrances. I personally avoid using strong-smelling substances around incubating eggs and young animals because of the exposure, and I avoid using (artificially) scented products, myself.

Animal studies have shown that "chemicals in fragrances...cause [cancer and reproductive effects]".

Further, many of the substances used in fragrances are "generally recognized as safe" by the FDA. Substances deemed "GRAS" don't provide me with much assurance that they're safe, particularly when you dig into what that designation really means.

While I have yet to encounter clinical research on the effects of cleaning chemicals and fragrances on waterfowl, specifically (doubtless, it wouldn't be funded because the study wouldn't be useful to big business, anyway), I choose to err on the side of caution and avoid exposure when possible - including choosing gentler, perfume-free options like vinegar for appropriate cleaning needs.

As far as the setup you describe, if at all possible, I would relocate young geese away from laundry areas where strong fragrances are present or consider changing your laundry detergent and fabric softener. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Birds are much more sensitive to aerosol and airborne chemicals and debris because of their respiratory system.
Birds require more oxygen to fuel the extreme energy needs of their flight muscles, which is more of a problem when flying at high altitude environments where oxygen can be scarce. They adapted to this challenge by evolving air sacs so that they can actually store oxygen to some extent.
This advantage becomes a disadvantage when there are harmful particles in the air, it’s harder for them to purge it from their lungs and air sacs than it is for a mammal, so they’re more likely to succumb to toxins and much more quickly.
@FoodFreedomNow is 100% right.

Back
Top Bottom