Geese Nesting Boxes DIY ideas

Mycrazypets

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
South Dakota
Hi there
I have 2 embden goslings around 9 weeks old that live with my chicks and am not sure what to do for nesting boxes. I know they don't lay eggs until spring but am just planning ahead. I have 6 chicken boxes and am planning to create one large enough for a goose.
Material suggestions, preferably easy ones I can build or recycle other things?
Tips on geese laying, materials for bedding in the box?
Thanks!

Hi there
I have 2 embden goslings around 9 weeks old that live with my chicks and am not sure what to do for nesting boxes. I know they don't lay eggs until spring but am just planning ahead. I have 6 chicken boxes and am planning to create one large enough for a goose.
Material suggestions, preferably easy ones I can build or recycle other things?
Tips on geese laying, materials for bedding in the box?
Thanks!
I know this may not be overly helpful, but my geese don't like nesting boxes. Well, I should say my goose. I have one adult pair and two juvenile females. My adult female prefers to make her own nest. She will grab straw and bits of weeds and stuff and build a mound for herself and lay an egg in it. If you offer a variety of substrate, your geese will pick which ones they like the best. Think long grass, hey, straw, even wood chips.

I use a jumbo litter box. Pine shavings in the bottom and a pile of hay. They'll use it provided they don't find somewhere better. It helps keep the nest dry in the spring rains we get here because the ground just turns into a sponge and it's pretty flat around my house so the water tends to stand. It is worth noting that a nest box with eggs and a goose will float in instances of extreme flooding.

Back
Top Bottom