Geese Sitter

LadyWolf44005

Chirping
Apr 26, 2020
(please know i am sorry about the bad spelling. auto correct dosent really work for me)With the holidays comeing up my family is really pushing me to travel to Michigan for the holidays. (I moved to kentucky with my parents) I have not been able to vist them since i moved down here. My probblem is that I dont have someone to watch my animals. (I have chickens, geese, and dogs). What also dosent help is that I have very little money I can pay someone to watch them. (i cant work. on disabilty) Plus I am wery of a stranger waching them. like how can I know that i can trust them. Besides Money being my biggest issue. One of my Male geese, Marcus has been acting up. I know he loves me, but he has been very aggresive. Even to me. Bubba my roster is also aggresive. (I have been working on it with both of them). Most ppl wont watch geese so how can I even ask them to watch a agressive one? I would probbly would ask them to come over ahead of time before I go. I show what not to do and to do. An most of all get the geese a little used to them. My geese are only let out of there inclosure when i can watch them. (we have a very busy road, and plenty of predors). What if they wont go back to their inclosure when its time to go back? they cant just be left outside. same with there Shelter at night. I could try to ask one of my neighbor but they have jobs and and have large herds of cattle to take care of. I have been thinking of this probblem before i got birds. But my parent just tolf me we will crosss that road when i get there. will we are there and no answer. Sorry for being all over the place. Just stressed. any one with any advise?

This is a situation many other poultry owners are in, there aren’t a lot of people out there that are trustable enough to pet sit birds right, other than other poultry owners that usually have their hands full too.

You could try to reach out to other bird owners in your area across Facebook groups, or see if your neighbors have older kids “teens” that can come over and feed/put the birds away every day as a favor, it could be a learning expierience learning a little about poultry care too.

I heard someone once say that the best way to make sure as few things as possible go wrong with pet sitters is to over simplify everything. Trim everything down to only the most basic things that needs to be done.
When I had to leave for a week I left my parents in charge of my birds, and even with them I had to simplify everything too, “especially because it was them.” Instead of being out every day, the geese were only let out every two/three days, it wasn’t fun for them but it was better than running the risk of them being forgotten and spending the night out with the coyotes. Each group of birds had a big 5 gallon bucket of water, a bucket of food, and some extra bedding.

If you can find someone have them come over a day in advance to learn what’s what, the routine, what to feed, and to show them how to put everyone away. Geese are getting horomonal, hence the aggression, but the good news is that geese are afraid of strangers so he won’t create much trouble with whoever’s going to be watching them.

Back
Top Bottom