Gender of this Blue laced waydotte x Swedish Black mix 8 week old chick?

Jan 21, 2022
PNW
IMG_4467.jpeg

Can anyone tell what gender this chick, Speckles is? Father is a blue laced wayndotte and mother was a Swedish Black. We lost the mother to a damn hawk when this chick was a week out from hatching. I'm really hoping it's a pullet, but my gut says cockerel. I'm trying to decide if my flock is big enough to handle two roosters. I have 11 hens, 1 rooster and 9 unsexed 8 week old chicks whose Mama just moved them into the main coop after raising them in a playhouse turned brooder house for 8 weeks. Speckles doesn't seem to mind being held, just like its mother.

View attachment 3273110
Can anyone tell what gender this chick, Speckles is? Father is a blue laced wayndotte and mother was a Swedish Black. We lost the mother to a damn hawk when this chick was a week out from hatching. I'm really hoping it's a pullet, but my gut says cockerel. I'm trying to decide if my flock is big enough to handle two roosters. I have 11 hens, 1 rooster and 9 unsexed 8 week old chicks whose Mama just moved them into the main coop after raising them in a playhouse turned brooder house for 8 weeks. Speckles doesn't seem to mind being held, just like its mother.
At 11 weeks this is definitely a boy. He is beautiful.😊

Dang… I was really hoping Speckles was a pullet to keep my beloved hen alive in her chicks. To my untrained eye it seems like I have a flock of 9 cockerels that hatched out the last week of July. It would seem that my rooster Sir Richard has some strong boy swimmers.

With chickens it's the hens that decide gender. Seems like maybe Speckles wanted you to have sons.

Back
Top Bottom