Gender Question

Taegz

Chirping
Oct 17, 2020
Hi, I have x8 speckled sussex chicks that hatched between 2nd-3rd March and I'm wondering if colouring plays a part on sexing them? As I have two that are way more white than the other 6. šŸ¤”šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Any advice welcomed. Thank you. Sorry not the best picture.. but best I could get! Lol
IMG20210329162854.jpg

Wow! Those ARE really light/white!

no, the amount of white does not indicate gender in SS.

we raised two male SS last fall-we bought sexed males. This spring we are raising 3 straight run SS. The straight run chicks look as if we have 2F, 1M although not certain as they are 6 weeks old. There isnā€™t much different in their coloring, although the suspected male seems to have more white on his head, but thatā€™s probably just a coincidence.

From what I understand speckled Sussex in other countries such as in Europe and Australia are similar to Jubilee Orpingtons in that they start out quite light, many of them, and develop their speckles over about a year and a half to two years time. Not sure which country youā€™re in but that would explain why they are so light in color. This has nothing to do with gender.
Nice looking birds!šŸ˜Š

Back
Top Bottom