General information on chick development rates?

ArizonaSky

Chirping
Nov 28, 2022
Is there a thread somewhere (or page) with information like which breeds mature fast? Slow? "It's hard to tell before X weeks because...", etc. Information on things to look for in young chicks to determine before a crow if we can likely expect eggs, or our favorite fluffy chick going..somewhere?

Ie: I have 5 week old hatchery chicks. When would I have a good idea who they are (before crowing), considering each may develop at a different rate?

Dominique breed
Ameraucana
Buff Orpington
Brown Leghorn
Delaware
Rhode Island Red

Thanks!

Last edited:
All of those breeds generally show early except sometimes buff Orpingtons. The main way we distinguish gender from week 6 and on is by the size and color of the combs and wattles. Ameraucanas should be bearded, so they usually won't have visible wattles. Brown Leghorns can be told by color early on, usually. Males will have black feathers at the breast, females will have salmon colored breasts.

All of those breeds generally show early except sometimes buff Orpingtons. The main way we distinguish gender from week 6 and on is by the size and color of the combs and wattles. Ameraucanas should be bearded, so they usually won't have visible wattles. Brown Leghorns can be told by color early on, usually. Males will have black feathers at the breast, females will have salmon colored breasts.
Thank you so much! Re: the Ameracaunas, 2 are bearded the 3rd is likely a pullet as well. She is completely chocolate brown. Can I assume that she is an EE?
The Delawares are throwing me. One that I thought was a cockerel has lightened to look like a pullet, and has a pullet colored comb!

Back
Top Bottom