• Two Females

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Two Males

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than two Females

• A larger (than two) male / female ratio

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Guineas Only (Brood Turkeys separately)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Guinea and Turkey brood mates

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • House grown Guineas and Turkeys togather

• Do not House grown Guineas and Turkeys together

• Do you love Guineas?

• Total voters
Do you remember when I had 8 hens and only one cock? He had five girls that were his main girls and three that he mostly ignored and chased away. However, he worked hard to fertilize all of the girls eggs, I even saw him mate the chased away ones. I expected low fertility but it was around 67%! Now that I have a less skewed ratio, he keeps two of those original hens in his harem, but the rest of his original hens have taken up with other cocks.
For a proper ratio of males to hens fertility should be nearly 100%. Your 67% fertility rate is low. Not all cocks will service more than one hen.

For a proper ratio of males to hens fertility should be nearly 100%. Your 67% fertility rate is low. Not all cocks will service more than one hen.
Low sure, but much higher than I expected! I was amazed that he could keep up with so many girls… :gig I’m no doubt projecting, but I keep thinking he’s a bit put out that most of his former hens are now off with the other guys! Even back then he always had a favorite, Scout Red, and she’s one of those that stuck with him.

So Guinea Fowl are a particular group of fowl that interest me, but of which I know a lot less about. Now I've used some of my chicken insight and gathered various thoughts and opinions online to form ideas on what type, what number, what sex, and in what combinations thereof, am currently rethinking everything based on discussions in the forum...

I understand that hatcheries have larger minimum orders for guineas, but I'm picking mine up so number won't be an issue. I believe some feel you should have a flock of guineas vs a pair. I want to start with a pair, and of these two I want French Giant hens for eggs and so as to avoid mating aggression and roving beyond the boundaries. I have six chickens now and hopefully three goslings arriving in May. The geese and chickens will be housed separately, but have access to the same pasture.

Some considerations:

1. They will free range (with the other breeds) on about an acre of pasture wooded primarily along the property line with interspersed trees throughout and a large clearing where a small pond will be. There are walnut trees so I'm planning to do some trimming back and placing nets around the their trunks to harvest and prevent any accidents with the birds.

2. I would like to brood the Guineas with Heritage Turkeys.

3. My breeds are:
  • 4 Buckeye (these are spirited, save the youngest who is at the bottom of the pecking order)
  • 2 Black Jersey Giant (these are dominate hens)
  • 2 Embden Hens
  • 1 Roman Gander
4. I am set on Chocolate Turkeys for the Guinea brood mates

Q. So when you got guineas how many did you get?
Q. What were their sexes?
Q. Which breeds?
Q. Why did you get Guineas?
Q. How did it all work out for you?

What would you recommend for the inexperienced guinea raiser?
Am I on the wrong course?
I've have both standard and jumbo. I haven't weighed them, but the difference is negligible in my opinion. You can SEE a size diff but it really doesn't seem to play out in bulk.
The females are the ones who cause the roaming. They go looking for nesting sites and everyone tags along.

I've have both standard and jumbo. I haven't weighed them, but the difference is negligible in my opinion. You can SEE a size diff but it really doesn't seem to play out in bulk.
The females are the ones who cause the roaming. They go looking for nesting sites and everyone tags along.
Yeah, my girls are also the roaming instigators in spring and summer. Another reason they are locked up right now.

:wootHey! I know this is an older post, but i voted in your poll and wanted to share my experience in raising my keets with a week old turkey poult. Unfortunately our turkey has since passed away, and the guinea are their own flock now <3
They were all brooded together when i got my shipment from Guinea Farm, and they did fabulous together from day one. I can say we never had a single issue raising our turkey (Jasper) with the guinea, and they were all a bonded flock. Turkeys actually have similar foraging and ranging habits as guineas do, so they dont really hold them back from being real guineas. We actually never had to train the guinea where home was, because the turkey knew, and would come home every night and for feeding time (of course LOL!) and the guinea would follow. The guineas treated him like he was their savior and protector (which isnt false) our turkey would chase off dogs on our property and taught the guineas how to be really good defenders and to chase things off, too, which they still do to this day! They chase off dogs, cats, snakes, etc, they think they can take anything out! Which was out turkeys mentality. He thought he could "take" a car, trucks. And would chase our cars off, or attack them when we arrived home. It was precious....as long as he didnt block you from driving...:idunno
What we found to be great, is how he taught the guineas to "behave". I know a lot of people have issues with guineas picking on chickens or other birds and livestock. Well, our turkey would always manage scuffles and never allowed misbehaving, a lot like a good roo in a group of hens. So the guineas learned to behave themselves, and we still dont have issues with guineas bullying anyone, even tho they are now without their turkey leadership. We had them all together for about one year in the flock until the turkey passed. He was a meat type and unfortunately his cardiovascular deficiencies eventually caught up with him. I know ppl are gonna ask "did you have issues with the turkey mating the guinea" no. we didnt at all. He was more interested in mating footwear (turkeys are funny) than mating a guinea. But I do think it would have been best to raise a male and female turkey with the guinea flock. I think it would have just been better, IMHO, because when the guinea fly into the trees, the turkey wouldnt be alone. He would gobble and get upset if the guinea ever left him for the trees. He could actually roost 5' up even tho he weighed 30lbs. Dont ask me how, he somehow managed it and we were scared he would break his thick legs flying down from roost but he never did! I think the only real negatives I can think of is that our turkey when he was just over 6 months old started getting food aggression at feeding time. The guineas would always submit to him tho and I had to start feeding them in a separate pan from him which DID end up solve the issue entirely. Hope youve made the best decision for you, and hope this helps in your journey!!

Cheers,
M:bun
guinea.jpg
turkey n guinea 2.jpg
turkey n guinea.jpg

:wootHey! I know this is an older post, but i voted in your poll and wanted to share my experience in raising my keets with a week old turkey poult. Unfortunately our turkey has since passed away, and the guinea are their own flock now <3
They were all brooded together when i got my shipment from Guinea Farm, and they did fabulous together from day one. I can say we never had a single issue raising our turkey (Jasper) with the guinea, and they were all a bonded flock. Turkeys actually have similar foraging and ranging habits as guineas do, so they dont really hold them back from being real guineas. We actually never had to train the guinea where home was, because the turkey knew, and would come home every night and for feeding time (of course LOL!) and the guinea would follow. The guineas treated him like he was their savior and protector (which isnt false) our turkey would chase off dogs on our property and taught the guineas how to be really good defenders and to chase things off, too, which they still do to this day! They chase off dogs, cats, snakes, etc, they think they can take anything out! Which was out turkeys mentality. He thought he could "take" a car, trucks. And would chase our cars off, or attack them when we arrived home. It was precious....as long as he didnt block you from driving...:idunno
What we found to be great, is how he taught the guineas to "behave". I know a lot of people have issues with guineas picking on chickens or other birds and livestock. Well, our turkey would always manage scuffles and never allowed misbehaving, a lot like a good roo in a group of hens. So the guineas learned to behave themselves, and we still dont have issues with guineas bullying anyone, even tho they are now without their turkey leadership. We had them all together for about one year in the flock until the turkey passed. He was a meat type and unfortunately his cardiovascular deficiencies eventually caught up with him. I know ppl are gonna ask "did you have issues with the turkey mating the guinea" no. we didnt at all. He was more interested in mating footwear (turkeys are funny) than mating a guinea. But I do think it would have been best to raise a male and female turkey with the guinea flock. I think it would have just been better, IMHO, because when the guinea fly into the trees, the turkey wouldnt be alone. He would gobble and get upset if the guinea ever left him for the trees. He could actually roost 5' up even tho he weighed 30lbs. Dont ask me how, he somehow managed it and we were scared he would break his thick legs flying down from roost but he never did! I think the only real negatives I can think of is that our turkey when he was just over 6 months old started getting food aggression at feeding time. The guineas would always submit to him tho and I had to start feeding them in a separate pan from him which DID end up solve the issue entirely. Hope youve made the best decision for you, and hope this helps in your journey!!

Cheers,
M:bun
View attachment 3091585View attachment 3091586View attachment 3091587
Thanks! Sorry I missed your reply! Also sorry for your loss, they sure are a real sight together in those pictures! You confirmed/clarified a few things for me. I have since changed my mind due to concerns about ranging, shelter space, and time.

Back
Top Bottom