Getting Keets Today

Playing Chicken

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 10, 2014
I've had chickens for 10 years, geese for one year, and am getting guinea today. My primary goal for them is pest management.

After reaching out to local breeders, I found someone with two-month-old keets and I jumped at the opportunity to get them, so that I wouldn't have to deal with brooding. However, this morning I was brushing up on what I already knew about guineas (I've wanted them for a couple of years) and I'm wondering if I should have waited for freshly hatched keets to raise alongside my chickens.

Thoughts?

I've had chickens for 10 years, geese for one year, and am getting guinea today. My primary goal for them is pest management.

After reaching out to local breeders, I found someone with two-month-old keets and I jumped at the opportunity to get them, so that I wouldn't have to deal with brooding. However, this morning I was brushing up on what I already knew about guineas (I've wanted them for a couple of years) and I'm wondering if I should have waited for freshly hatched keets to raise alongside my chickens.

Thoughts?
Personally I would raise from keets. My guineas came to me when I called them. I don't recommend housing them with chickens. They have different mating styles that chickens don't understand.l, it results in scared chickens and broken wing feathers.

Personally I would raise from keets. My guineas came to me when I called them. I don't recommend housing them with chickens. They have different mating styles that chickens don't understand.l, it results in scared chickens and broken wing feathers.
this. I raised guineas with chickens. it didn't end well. Guinea are very butch birds. they will take over and will harm/kill those birds that don't submit.

Thoughts?
The problem with getting the older keets is that you will need to keep them confined longer for them to learn that this is their home. The good thing is that you don't have to brood them.

I raised keets with chicks,and even housed them with the chickens. After that experience and the stress it caused my other poultry, I brood keets only with keets, raise them only with guineas and house them only with guineas. It does a world of good for my other poultry.

The problem with getting the older keets is that you will need to keep them confined longer for them to learn that this is their home. The good thing is that you don't have to brood them.

I raised keets with chicks,and even housed them with the chickens. After that experience and the stress it caused my other poultry, I brood keets only with keets, raise them only with guineas and house them only with guineas. It does a world of good for my other poultry.

It looks like I messed up the formating of the reply function, but I can't figure out how to undo it.

Thank you for your response. I do have a separate coop for them and (based on advice from Google) plan on keeping them contained in that coop for two whole weeks and then only letting out one bird at a time until. . . Well, I guess until I feel confident that they know where home is.

Thank you for your response. I do have a separate coop for them and (based on advice from Google) plan on keeping them contained in that coop for two whole weeks and then only letting out one bird at a time until. . . Well, I guess until I feel confident that they know where home is.
With older keets you may need to keep them contained longer. If they were adults the timing would be 6 weeks. The 2 weeks is for keets you have raised right there.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom