Getting ready for snow...advise please

Bcmacias

Chirping
Jul 24, 2020
Here is our coop. My husband and I built it and have 4 pullets about 12 weeks old (ISA brown, black Asian, California white, barred rock). I am thinking of getting plexiglass sheets (3) to cover three sides of the run. The fourth side that as the open doors will not be covered. We would use the plexiglass sheets when it rains heavily to help protect the run from getting muddy, which we noticed happens...the muddiest part is the ground right under the food dispenser). And we would use them when it snows. We live in Kansas City, Missouri where we get snow, but not usually more than 4 inches at a time. It does get cold, in the single digits, occasionally dipping into the negatives. My question is...do you think it would be a good idea to get these sheets to help protect the run or is it necessary? The food and water are both in the run, and this will be our first winter with chickens. Thanks!
E63C9F09-1188-4164-A3E6-2C47D028E1A5.jpeg
A8EF4D7F-F545-4F0B-85C8-005F417B1FCE.jpeg

Which direction does the wind normally blow the rain in? I would just put plexiglass on that side. Maybe on two adjacent sides if the wind comes diagonal. And leave the other 2-3 sides open.

Beautiful coop, by the way!

Which direction does the wind normally blow the rain in? I would just put plexiglass on that side. Maybe on two adjacent sides if the wind comes diagonal. And leave the other 2-3 sides open.

Beautiful coop, by the way!
I agree, 2 sides covered with plexiglass, maybe 3 depending on how much rain and snow blows in....

Back
Top Bottom