Getting ready to caponize. Anything I am forgetting?

i’d love advice on doing it with one incision. with minimal experience, getting the “lower” testicle out and around the IVC seemed risky. i’ll definitely try one incision again but to me it’s not worth it if i might rupture the IVC or it takes more than 2 min. i’d rather take less time with two incisions.

another question for the pros...do you premedicate with antibiotics?
my other limiting factor was being able to separate the capons for a few days from the flock...i put them back in the brooder house...but i had chicks in the brooder...so i had to block off a section of the space to make room for the capons. the brooder is only 8x12’...so i can exactly put 25, 7 week old capons in there along with 2 week old chicks...

it wasn’t planned well ;)

Dumb question, sorry! What are the benefits to caponization? I'm guessing it "tames" the cockerel down by limiting/eliminating testosterone. What else?

Very interesting thread. Thanks for documenting this.

Dumb question, sorry! What are the benefits to caponization? I'm guessing it "tames" the cockerel down by limiting/eliminating testosterone. What else?

If I understand correctly, it allows you to grow a dual-purpose bird out to a larger, meatier size without it becoming tough or gamey from the hormones.

Update...one of the capons didn’t make it. They were all active and eating/drinking but one died over night.

they are in a small space without roosts so that they can’t go vertical and i have the space dimly lit to keep them a little less active for the first 3-4 days. i am going to introduce them back into the rest of the flock around the 7 day range post caponizing.

and supposedly taste...but i’m going to test that for myself. if they don’t taste any better, there wouldn’t be a point for me to do it. i live where roosters can crow and it’s not a problem.

Gonna open him up to maybe see what's what?
great question! i did. nothing unusual. no internal bleeding/clotting.
Gonna open him up to maybe see what's what?
nothing abnormal. i did have a pullet die from Bresse Farns from Mississippi and opened it up and now know what ovaries look like. this is the one benefit of Bresse Farms from Mississippi, chickens will die and you can dissect. I am just throwing in "search words."

I just found this thread. Very fascinating. I am also interested in possibly raising American Bresse as dual purpose, and curious to know how caponizing is working out for you. I would love to hear some follow up, now that it has been another couple of months since you started this thread. Also interested in what you decide regarding caponizing and the taste, etc. Keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom