Girl or Boy

Clayton30

In the Brooder
Jun 29, 2022
Orange County, NY
Howdy everyone,

I have 5 brown leghorns and 5 white leghorns. They’re all 4 weeks old now. One of the brown leghorns caught my eye early on as a potential rooster. All of my brown leghorns are on the small side compared to the white but this particular chick is considerably larger than the others. This one has been the first brown to develop a noticeable crop and it’s legs and feet seem to be thicker than the others. It’s still early on to decide but this one has my attention. I’m going to attach some pictures and if you could let me know what you think I’d appreciate it! The last photo is of another brown for reference to size
393DDC92-7DCB-4A93-A8DE-D016C05DAE1D.jpeg
0F079B60-6796-4623-A6BB-BE4D9247C231.jpeg
FFE54722-0D5C-441A-8DA8-B0625C504377.jpeg
9BEE2CBF-F2BC-4EAA-9A12-1066BA5DBADD.jpeg

That’s what I’m thinking too. I must have spent hours looking at it over the last few weeks and it just seems like a male. Thanks for the response!
Leghorns are a bit tricky, since they have such huge combs as adults their combs are bigger as a chick. It is a but early to know gender for sure so update us in a couple weeks, there is a chance it could be a pullet.

Leghorns are a bit tricky, since they have such huge combs as adults their combs are bigger as a chick. It is a but early to know gender for sure so update us in a couple weeks, there is a chance it could be a pullet.
Yeah definitely. My white ones started their combs very early but they were all growing at the same rate. They were much bigger than the browns from the first week I had them. Browns are starting to catch up a bit but still noticeably smaller. The one in question is basically the same size as the whites now while the remaining brown are all a good 25% smaller

Back
Top Bottom