Glad to be out of the coop, 2 and 3 months old already!

siouxbee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
We'd been keeping the girls in the coop for a week to make sure they knew it was home. So we finally opened the door and let them out. And boy were they jubilant! Jumping and flapping, often on each other, well, you all probably know the drill. I got out some corn that Id' cut off the cob, as well as the cobs themselves which had a little on at the ends. And some grilled green beans and leftover salad from last night's dinner. Oh, and they love my kids leftover mushy cereal. Go Lean not so crunchy!

Anyway, since they were out of their chicken jail, I decided to get some nice bucolic photos:

First up, is my favorite (shhh), Izzy, a Blue Laced Red Wyandotte.
chicks-izzy.jpg

Next, Luna, another BLRW and favorite, tho more shy than Izzy.
luna.jpg

Here's Clover, yet another BLRW:
chicks-clover.jpg

And, last of the BLRWs is Peepers, who does appear to be a roo! Still waiting for the crow, but the comb and wattles have been quite suspicious for some time now.
chicks-peepers-1.jpg

Meet Fly, Speckled Sussex. you can see many of the other girls in the background, nibbling on some corn cobs leftover from dinner last night.
chicks-fly.jpg

Our Silkie lost her pal (the Ping to her Pong) to a hawk due to my carelessness around 6 weeks old, so we got her a new friend. And they really do hang out together. But right now, Pong is stealing away with a piece of crust and wants no one around.
chicks-silkie-1.jpg

Lastly, Tinkerbelle (auracana) here with Izzy on the left. Tinkerbelle also lost her pal FuzzyUzzy, but by then I wasn't able to get her a "bird of a feather to flock together" with.
chicks-tink.jpg

As you can imagine, with these losses, we've built a chicken fortress, and I only let them free range when I'm out there to be nearby. The good thing is that they're getting the whole "let's get in the coop and get a treat" thing down. Slowly, and I still need my son to help herd them, but...

What a lovely bouquet of chickens you have
big_smile.png

I do like your favorite as well; funny how much difference there can be within the same breed.

Added: For the record, you have some chickens of the same breed as mine and , I have combed through your posts looking for pics of your chickens several times in the past. I Like the pics, and your chickens are great, if you have anymore pics of them when they were younger that you havent posted before, i'de love to see those too
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Gorgeous birds! Don't you love the BLRWs? I have three and they are just so beautiful.
Peepers... That looks like a roo. A sure way to tell is to look on his (her
fl.gif
) back. Are the feathers laced like the feathers on the chest? A little roo will have almost a mish mash of colors on the back, and when he grows up, they turn into a beautiful pattern (just not laced). But that comb is awfully suspicious.

Back
Top Bottom