Glenda Heywoodo

Songster
Dec 19, 2016
Cassville Missouri
TO START WITH
I am Glenda Heywood editor and publisher of NATIONAL POULTRY NEWS
WHICH WAS PUBLISHED 29-1/2 YRS AND PUT TO BED 12-2005
this was due to my health problems.

So now I am on BYC and answering articles again.
I was on BYC for a time in 2009 and 2010 and posted by my full name Glenda L Heywood

Bee Kissed asked this
Originally Posted by Beekissed

Glenda, I've searched and searched for your article on probiotic mash and couldn't find it. Could you provide a link to that article? You must have had a HUGE family and tons of freezers to be able to put 500 roosters in the freezer every year!
th.gif
That's a lot of chicken meat! Did you all consume that many in a year or sell them?

I got to look at a few posts from your last time on BYC but they too seemed to consists of just copied and pasted information about things from other sources, so was wondering if you have any real life articles about raising chickens from your own experience? That would be fascinating to hear, especially since you raised so many chickens per year.

What was your preferred method for hatching and brooding chicks? What type of flock management did you do? Were you breeding for particular traits? What breeds did you show? Did you keep chickens in coops/barns or were they free ranged? Did you have an egg selling business? I'm assuming you did if you were raising 500 hens per year...was that a family business?

Man...chocolate cake for dinner every single day???? You were one lucky gal!!!
clap.gif
Tell us more! You have had a fascinating farm life with all those animals and the work you did from an early age...I LOVE hearing about such things. My parent's lives were much like that...a lot of hard, hard work at an early age, though they didn't have a huge farm like y'all had...just medium sized places.

Glenda Heywwod posting
Well thanks for asking and as you are a gentleman for asking I must say this

(1) As to the baking of a chocolate cake every day, we were a big family eating 4 meals a day so that took a lot of chocolate cake!! (A) It was my fathers favorite and MY Mother was working in the field with my Dad with a team of horses for her self as my father did.
(B) I was left to fry the 4 chickens for dinner and bake the chocolate cake. I was able to do this from age 8 on.
(C) I did feed and water the chickens daily and milked 8 cows twice a day, and
(D) also did make the lunches for my self and brother and sister to go to school by 8:30 am going 1/2 mile to school walking the distance.

(E) Beekissed asked That's a lot of chicken meat!
Did you all consume that many in a year or sell them?

(1-A) yes my mother and I dressed all the roosters, but remember starting early as fryers I butchered 4 roosters a day for dinnewr and lunch for as many as four people to eat and 6 at night to eat.
(1-B) my mother and I put the roosters in the freezer and
we canned for ourselves many of the roosters.

(2) yes my mother did sell and give away some of the yearly roosters to our church.

(3) under the name of Glenda L Heywood I have 1734 posts on BYC

(4) Question asked by beekissed? What was your preferred method for hatching and brooding chicks?

(a) in my mothers chick house we fed and watered and cared for the 500 chicks at a time IE: pullets first and IE: rooster chicks last.

(B) IE: now in my own time period my husband and I only kept:
(C) MY HUSBAND KEPT: PURBRED MATINGS OF MODERN GAMES, ROSECOMBS, SEVERAL DIFFERENT LARGE FOW, AND DUCKS
(D) MY PERSONAL CHICKENS WERE PURE BRED COCHINS AND COCHIN FRIZZLES.
MY HUSBAND also was licensed Poultry and Duck Judge.
Licensed by the AMERICAN BANTAM ASSN AND THE AMERICAN POULTRY ASSN

(E) OF WHICH MY HUSBAND MATED AND BRED HIS KIND OF BIRDS.

(F) AND I kept and Bred my kind of birds perse'
I had several breeding pens of both cochins and cochin frizzles an Cornish Bantams..
(a) So as to have FRIZZLE ROOSERS FOR MATING SMOOTH HENS TO MAKE FRIZZLES.
(b) I ALSO FOR COUPLE OF YEARS KEPT THE REGULAR FEATHERED COCHINS FOR STRAIGHT FEATHERED MALES.
(c)I MAINLY BRED Cochin Frizzles to smooth cochin hens.
(d) I never bred frizzle to frizzle as this MAKES EXTREME FRIZZLES WITH OUT FEATHERS.
(e) AS THAT WAS A WASTE OF MONEY AND FEED AS THEY WOULD BE KILED WHEN I DISCOVERED THEY WERE EXTREME FRIZZLES.

(4) ALSO I fed. and watered all the chickens as my husband was: tending to the several hundred colonies of bees:
after working a night shift at the Union Pacific Railroad,

(5) So I did the every day feeding watering and checking to see all birds were okay.

(6) My Husband made his mateings of birds:

(7) I made my own mateings of cochins to cochin frizzles ad Cornish Bantams.

Beekissed ask What was your preferred method for hatching and brooding chicks?

(A) My husband did the hatching in a
(B)large REDWOOD LEHAY INCUBATOR that stood in our living room until we quit in 1989
(C) . he sold the incubator to a friend.
(D)They are no longer sold as the company quit, and they are now prized by many breeders to buy.

(A-2)AS TO BROODING CHICKS,
(1) my husband made a 6x6 ft wooden brooder from 1x12"lumber and with covering of the top with thin plywood pieces and the front top I put covering over it by night and thin covering by dayor no covering.
(2) THE WOODEN BROODER WAS KEPT ON OUR CLOSED IN PORCH AND I TENDED THEM DAILY AND NIGHTLY!
(3) WHEN THEY WERE TWO WEEKS OLD WE PUT THEM IN CHICK HOUSE WITH A METAL BROODER TENT WITH LIGHTING FOR HEAT AND TO SEE FEED AND WATER.
(h) AS TO LATER AGE WE HAD SEPERATED ROOSTERS FROM PULLETS AT 4 WEEKS OLD.
(I) SO NOW HAD SEVERAL PENS OF RAISING CHICKS TO MATURITY.
(j) OF WHICH MY HUSBAND PICKED HIS BEST FROM AND CULLED
(k):ie PICKING BEST FROM ALL AND CULLING WORST OR IN CORNISH CULLS I BUTCHERED THEM FOR THE FREEZER
(l) I also picked my best and culled the rest. Depending on size of culls I butchered the culls for the freezer.

(A-3) Beekissed ask?
Were you breeding for particular traits?
(1) yes always the best traits for MODERN GAMES AND ROSECOM BANTAMS, AND
(2)ALWAYS LARGE FOWL TRAITS TO THE BREED HE WAS RAISING AT THE TIME.
(3) HIS BANTAM DUCK BEST TRAITS; HE HAD GRAHAM OAKFORD CALL DUCKS

(A-4)-Did you keep chickens in coops/barns or were they free ranged?
We never free ranged always kept chickens in penned area

(B) as to my husband and I we had a main chicken house for chickens not in separate breeding pens.
(C) NO we did not free range chickens only penned for breeding each group of 2 to 3 birds per mating.
(D) All breeders were separately penned with one rooster and female
(E) I always had to remove feathering around the vent area of 4 inches wide on cochins and cochin frizzles
(F) as the feathers would prevent the sperm from going in the females vent preferably okay.

(A-5) What breeds did you show?
(!) My husband showed Modern Games and Bantam ducks
(B) he had Birchen Modern Games and a couple colors of Call Ducks

(A-6) MY MAIN COLOR WAS WHITE in Cochins and Cochin frizzles
(-2)I had severl pen mating of these going early winter to summer.

(A-7) Beekissed asked Did you have an egg selling business?
(1) AS TO MY MOTHERS CHICKENS
yes she sold the eggs to a feed store in neola iowa at 18 cents a dozen
(A) AS TO BUTCHERED CHICKEN SHE SOLD SOME OF THEM BUTCHRED, SOME OF THE GIVEN TO CHURCH
(B) SOME OF THEM GIVEN TO MY GRANDPARENTS
(C) AND REST FOR OUR OWN PERSONAL FAMILY USE FOR THE YEAR.

(2) As for my self and husband no we did not sell eggs, and some meat
(B) I butchered rabbits and roosters to sell people till 1980 as Iowa law then made you get all registered with health dept etc.
(C)so I butchered all rabbit does and males for our own freezer and never sold butchered chickens again.
(D) then just butchered meat for our freezer.
(E) mostly Cornish and cochin chickens were big enough for meat
(F) other breeds were culled and put in the garbage can for disposing

YOU ALL HAVE A NICE DAY
GLENDA HEYWOOD CASSVILLE MISSOURI

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom