GNAT ATTACK MASSACRE!

I live in SE coastal Georgia and biting gnats and ”no see um” mosquitoes are our daily here. My chickens lose feathers around their head and necks from scratching. ☹️ I’m so sorry to hear about your chicks and the lady’s parrot. Heartbreaking.

I use permethrin and another chemical safe for chickens (I’ll get the name later when I can go out and look, my memory is terrible). I spray the yard, bushes, and trees all around the coop and runs every 2-3 months. When I put them up for bed, I spray their runs - it dries overnight and is safe for them by morning. I spray inside the coop and on the roosts with permethrin and PSP.

I have several of these fly traps around the runs (picture attached). They stink but work the best (we've tried many different kinds).

I spray my birds with a couple different solutions:

Permethrin and elector PSP - 2-3 times a year.

Poultry Protector mixed with No Gnats and Shield Me (essential oil by Plant Therapy). I use the poultry protector bottle about 1/2-2/3 full, add No Gnats to fill and about 25 drops of the Shield Me. This helps keep them off for a few days.

Attachments

• D7542A02-5EEB-494A-8039-5EBD43770B89.jpeg
    D7542A02-5EEB-494A-8039-5EBD43770B89.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 2
I live in SE coastal Georgia and biting gnats and ”no see um” mosquitoes are our daily here. My chickens lose feathers around their head and necks from scratching. ☹️ I’m so sorry to hear about your chicks and the lady’s parrot. Heartbreaking.

I use permethrin and another chemical safe for chickens (I’ll get the name later when I can go out and look, my memory is terrible). I spray the yard, bushes, and trees all around the coop and runs every 2-3 months. When I put them up for bed, I spray their runs - it dries overnight and is safe for them by morning. I spray inside the coop and on the roosts with permethrin and PSP.

I have several of these fly traps around the runs (picture attached). They stink but work the best (we've tried many different kinds).

I spray my birds with a couple different solutions:

Permethrin and elector PSP - 2-3 times a year.

Poultry Protector mixed with No Gnats and Shield Me (essential oil by Plant Therapy). I use the poultry protector bottle about 1/2-2/3 full, add No Gnats to fill and about 25 drops of the Shield Me. This helps keep them off for a few days.
Excellent! Thank you for the tip, I will try all of that. My poor birds just stay in their coops to try and avoid them.

I’m from Florida, so I’m familiar with the no see ums and mosquitoes, which are horrible! Thanks again :frow

Back
Top Bottom