Golden laced Sebright won't lay

RoosterHuggerLiz

Songster
Dec 27, 2020
I have an extremely sweet, extremely gentle, and extremely skittish, Sebright hen who is about a year old, she started laying about the same time as the rest of my girls for that group (at about 5-6 months) and she never missed more then a day or two, I was getting about five or six small eggs from her every week which was shocking but what was even more shocking was when my Rhode Island Red hen hatched chicks, Taco(the Sebright) went broody! I broke her of it extremely quickly but she still hasn't made me a single egg sense! She seems to be getting a little bit chunky which I find worrying and it's been about 3 months now.. ideas on how I can get her laying again?

I have an extremely sweet, extremely gentle, and extremely skittish, Sebright hen who is about a year old, she started laying about the same time as the rest of my girls for that group (at about 5-6 months) and she never missed more then a day or two, I was getting about five or six small eggs from her every week which was shocking but what was even more shocking was when my Rhode Island Red hen hatched chicks, Taco(the Sebright) went broody! I broke her of it extremely quickly but she still hasn't made me a single egg sense! She seems to be getting a little bit chunky which I find worrying and it's been about 3 months now.. ideas on how I can get her laying again?
Are you in the Northern Hemisphere?

If you are, sounds like she is going off laying for awhile. Some broody hens (after being broken) will also molt. Some people like to provide artificial lighting to try to promote egg laying, because chickens can stop laying due to the decreasing hours of daylight. I would guess it is a combination of everything.

Are you in the Northern Hemisphere?

If you are, sounds like she is going off laying for awhile. Some broody hens (after being broken) will also molt. Some people like to provide artificial lighting to try to promote egg laying, because chickens can stop laying due to the decreasing hours of daylight. I would guess it is a combination of everything.
I'm from Florida and she also already did go through a molt a couple weeks ago, so adding some artificial light for a couple extra hours will help her lay again?

I'm from Florida and she also already did go through a molt a couple weeks ago, so adding some artificial light for a couple extra hours will help her lay again?
It "could" help, but it really depends. I personally do not use artificial light myself, so I cannot say much on that.

A molt could have an impact on her as well. I thought one of my Wyandotte's was done molting (after she went broody), but she just lost a lot more feathers today even though she was broody 5-6 months ago. She has not started laying yet and I do not expect her too either.

Back
Top Bottom