Gonna be a chicken mamma soon; but . ..

I like to raise chicks in smaller groups so I can spend more time with each. I will raise 4 or 5 inside the house but no more. I did 9 for 2 weeks inside, never again.
I think you should build your coop first or at least get it mostly finished before getting chicks. They grow soooo fast!
One more thing, build the coop for 40 but start with the 10. They will come! Chicken math!
I agree with YOU. Unfortunately I am married to Farmer Higgins bka "Hip Hillbilly Farmer".

Thank you for responding. Gonna tell him AGAIN, what you said.

Bless your heart re. the food/worry comment. Yes, in a perfect world; yet I fear we are facing upcoming food shortages of an immense nature (not to be a negative Nelly; but can not ignore what is right in our faces). That being said, it is written the shrewd one sees the calamity and protects themself (or something to that nature).

Thanks for the indoor brooding comment. Something to consider (though it is looking like they will be indoors for this first time). We have a pitt mix puppy outside - nuff said. While building the coop will have to come up with a solution for her. By the time chickies go to their beautiful new coop Snuffy Smith (our pup) will be situated. Oh, and I am woman enough to admit and share when I see how everything you said (smell, dander) comes a true for this household. :thWill have a ball writing about it all in my journal.

"Water glass"; hmmm, something else for me to research. Can you tell me more about this "clover" too? Is it difficult to grow (SE GA here; nice and hot in the summer). Is there a preferred time to grow it; does it take long to grow? Is it too late for now to have for Fall?

Thank you SO much for responding and helping.
Water glassing is great. If done correctly then the eggs can stay good up to 18 months.

Regarding the clover, it's best to sow the seeds in spring. They need to get established before it gets too hot. Once they're established it does great. It doesn't need tons of water and is great in drought (which I am) the roots also grow pretty deep and strong so it grows back even after the girls attack it.

Water glassing is great. If done correctly then the eggs can stay good up to 18 months.

Regarding the clover, it's best to sow the seeds in spring. They need to get established before it gets too hot. Once they're established it does great. It doesn't need tons of water and is great in drought (which I am) the roots also grow pretty deep and strong so it grows back even after the girls attack it.
Ohh, ok. I am going to tell hubby about it when we talk this evening. Also, I will be prepared for Spring '23. Thank you for that tip for me and my girls-to-be. :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom