Goodbye Pearl.

Jan 2, 2021
Sorry this will probably be sort of long.
Yesteredy we had to (not so) sadly say goodbye to our “beloved” Silver Spangled Hamburg rooster Pearl. Pearl was a good rooster. Always crowed at the crack of dawn, would stand ontop of the waterer in the run and poop in it, and would always run to be the first to eat when the feeder was topped off ( anybody eleses birds act like they’ve been starved when food and water get refilled?) Now Pearl is living in rooster paridise with 32 beautiful ladies to have all the fun he wants with.
Pearl was also reunited with one of his brooder buddies Archie was sent to my sisters friend who has chickens too. Hopefully Pearl sill make friends with the gesse, ducks, 3 other roosters. Perhaps the old turkey and Pearl will learn to tolerate eachother too. Roughly 2 months ago Archie and Pearl were sent off to live at my sisters friend’s place were they could live happily everafter and we would never have to wake up at 3 am again. Pearl however returned to us 3 days latter when their other rooster tried to mount Pearl. So pearl came back to us as a hen. A few weeks later Pearl started to crow, ( Archie was the top rooster before) and mount the other hens. We talked to my sisters friend who said that the could take Pearl back. Most of thebirds they have are meat birds or dual purpous, and all of fhem are older than Pearl so I would gusse that pearl is the probably the smallest. That sid not phase Pearl, he struted around like he owned the place with his chest puffed out, and crowed atleast 5 times untill the giant turkey I will call Bald Butt ( missing the feathers on his bum)ran at Pearl. And in the spring Pearl will be replaced with 2 new hens and Buff Orpington ( my mom loves them) and Im still deciding on the second breed. Hopefully Pearl is enjoying himself and lives a happy life as a rooster. I’ll probably vist sometimes just to see how he is.
here is the only good pic I have of Pearl where he isn’t running and the photo turns out like a blur. Not the best shot but Pearl is the Black and White one.
250C2EDE-8151-40E9-94EC-0207F180BED4.jpeg

I think a lot of us have had to re-home a rooster so know what it's like to have to give one up. It sounds like you found a good home for Pearl!

Back
Top Bottom