Goofy Guinea Gone Wild

NotFowlinAround

In the Brooder
May 20, 2023
Hi, I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have four guinea 2 male, 2 female, all 16 weeks old. They roost in a coop with 8 chickens(hens). I have a fenced in yard that they forage in. The guinea frequently get out of the fenced in area but with instant regret as they frantically try to get back in through the 2x4 welded wire fence. They can't seem to figure out that they can just fly back in. They have only flown back over twice out of the 30 or so "escapes". I end up having to open the fence gate and coax(more like chase) them back in. I'm afraid when I am gone all day they get stuck outside of the fence and get swiped by a predator.

Any suggestions on what I can do, like maybe somehow train them they can fly back over the fence
I am dumbfounded.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I hope I am posting this in the right place. I have four guinea 2 male, 2 female, all 16 weeks old. They roost in a coop with 8 chickens(hens). I have a fenced in yard that they forage in. The guinea frequently get out of the fenced in area but with instant regret as they frantically try to get back in through the 2x4 welded wire fence. They can't seem to figure out that they can just fly back in. They have only flown back over twice out of the 30 or so "escapes". I end up having to open the fence gate and coax(more like chase) them back in. I'm afraid when I am gone all day they get stuck outside of the fence and get swiped by a predator.

Any suggestions on what I can do, like maybe somehow train them they can fly back over the fence
I am dumbfounded.

Thanks in advance.
What I did with mine was to herd them back in as soon as they escaped. The more uncomfortable you make them about being out, the quicker they will stop escaping.

You have to be consistent, if you don't put them back in every time they will learn that its okay to get out.

What I did with mine was to herd them back in as soon as they escaped. The more uncomfortable you make them about being out, the quicker they will stop escaping.

You have to be consistent, if you don't put them back in every time they will learn that its okay to get out.
Thanks for replying!

Well, I always get them back in as soon as I see them out. I won't always be home. I have come home and found one or two out and immediately get them back in. My hope is they eventually come to realize they CAN fly back in.

Back
Top Bottom