Goose Incubating questions?

Normy84

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
We got some toulouse goose eggs yesterday and put them in the incubator. We have never used it without a turner so figured we would turn them the old fashion way. We everything seemed good at the beginning but after putting the eggs in the incubator I found at the floor 96-97 and at the surface of the eggs 99.5. I left it overnight thinking they just took longer to warm up. This morning it was the same 96-97 on the floor and 99.5 on the surface of the egg. I used a old egg tray to lift them up and now the temp is absolutely prefect. I have hatched a lot of chicken eggs and this would not worry me, maybe delay a day from hatch. I am really hoping the goose egg are okay. Anyone know if the incubator a touch cool for 1/2 a day will harm the eggs.

We got some toulouse goose eggs yesterday and put them in the incubator. We have never used it without a turner so figured we would turn them the old fashion way. We everything seemed good at the beginning but after putting the eggs in the incubator I found at the floor 96-97 and at the surface of the eggs 99.5. I left it overnight thinking they just took longer to warm up. This morning it was the same 96-97 on the floor and 99.5 on the surface of the egg. I used a old egg tray to lift them up and now the temp is absolutely prefect. I have hatched a lot of chicken eggs and this would not worry me, maybe delay a day from hatch. I am really hoping the goose egg are okay. Anyone know if the incubator a touch cool for 1/2 a day will harm the eggs.
I doubt it's caused significant harm - my guess is, at worst, the discrepancy might cause a slight delay in development.

When taking the temperature of incubating eggs, it's done at the top of the eggs, so I'd expect the floor of the incubator to be a bit cooler...plus incubator temps fluctuate. 🙂 Also, goose eggs are thought to benefit from slightly lower temps during incubation - see @pete55's hatching guide.

Wishing you the best with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom