Goose nest

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
Hey all! my geese sleep in a coop type thing with chickens but they werent very happy so i got a hay bale and they jumped up and went to sleep and were happy, but over time they seemed to not like it as much, do they like the hay elevated or on the groiund?

oh okay, i was just wondering because they seemed to jump up on their own, is sleeping on top of a hay bale considered on the ground ?

My geese sometimes like to be elevated, some do, some don’t. It sounds like yours have the quirk some of mine do, I think they like having a better view.

Just remember when using hay as bedding that it needs to be changed regularly and not allowed to sit long enough that it can mold.

it's actually straw, does that make a difference?
Not really, any organic material will mold eventually, wood shavings mold more slowly because it’s just wood, things like tree bark, any kind of straw, rice straw or hay will mold faster, alfalfa being the fastest.
Birds prefer straw because they can use if for nesting material and it’s cushy, but you just have to keep a closer watch on it and remove it more often.

It depends on how much moisture you have and how much moisture comes into contact with the straw “droppings.”
I use wood shavings and I have to clear out the bedding once a week, but the moisture in my area in winter is unreal, it can go a lot longer in dry climates.

I can’t realky say how much you should clear yours out, that’s up to you to determine, if it looks damp it’s time to go.

Back
Top Bottom