Goose outdoor readiness

baust3217

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
We recently were blessed with a single baby goose. He’s a brown African what we think is a boy as he’s far more aggressive than the females we’ve raised. My question.. he has almost all his feathers. Body feathers are complete. His head and neck still has a lot of down but certainly not fully feathered. He is now 2 months old and getting quite antsy and vocal having to be in his inside enclosure. At what point is it safe to transition him outside. We live in Michigan so the temps aren’t warm by any means. Typically when we hatch babies it’s later in the season and there are far more of them so they have company. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Thats a good question and I betcha @Goosebaby or @Miss Lydia can answer it . By the way I think you meant to post this in the geese forum (this is ducks forum) but no worries lots of us have both ducks and geese lol.
For now I would try letting him out just for a little while on nicer days at first. Im tend towards overly cautious on ling related stuff though. So If its like below freezing or snowy wind etc I would keep him inside.

Is he going to be outside alone that is important? I really think if your having temps below 50 and wind he shouldn't be out but I tend to lean to the more protective side too. Give him a mirror he can't knick around so he has some company. Of course on nice warmer days take him out for a bit let him run around and exert some energy this should help him be more relaxed inside.

Thats a good question and I betcha @Goosebaby or @Miss Lydia can answer it . By the way I think you meant to post this in the geese forum (this is ducks forum) but no worries lots of us have both ducks and geese lol.
For now I would try letting him out just for a little while on nicer days at first. Im tend towards overly cautious on ling related stuff though. So If its like below freezing or snowy wind etc I would keep him inside.
Thank you so much. I’m also very cautious. I tend to love my babies a little too deeply my hubby tells me anyway 😊

Back
Top Bottom