Goose sexing?

m0ther_g00se

Songster
Jun 3, 2021
Columbus, GA
1623030571750.png

I have two what I believe to be young Embden geese (12 weeks ish). They're all white, except for one which has a black/grey spot on one side near its' butt, and the other which has some brown in its' tail feathers, but at a glance they're totally white. But that's just me guessing based on coloration. Any idea of species or, more importantly, genders? Just wanna know whether I need to anticipate eggs lol.

At this age it’s really hard to say, they’re still built like juveniles. Males tend to have longer necks than females, these two both look like they have fairly long necks compared to their bodies so they could be ganders but like I said, at this age it’s hard to tell.

Alright, thanks for letting me know. They already sound different (one has a deeper honk and the other still sounds close to a juvenile) but I think I'll probably update the thread whenever there's more change in their bodies so I have a better idea.

At this age it’s really hard to say, they’re still built like juveniles. Males tend to have longer necks than females, these two both look like they have fairly long necks compared to their bodies so they could be ganders but like I said, at this age it’s hard to tell.
My gut says two ganders as well. They are easier than adding girls to the mix.

I have to say, they look nearly identicle, and I’ve spent enough time looking at geese that I can spot differences in looks between geese as well as I can with people sometimes, those two, whatever the gender they’re not just full siblings, they look like twins!

I have to say, they look nearly identicle, and I’ve spent enough time looking at geese that I can spot differences in looks between geese as well as I can with people sometimes, those two, whatever the gender they’re not just full siblings, they look like twins!
Haha, yeah! I tell them apart at first glance mostly by temperament. One is willing to come right up to me to be held and will eat my hair like I never feed him, but the other is way more passive and prefers to hang back with the ducks. Either way, I love em :) they're annoying sometimes and one of them was very mean to our broody duck (we're protecting her nest now, they plucked the feathers from her back!) but other than that they're very well behaved and function well to protect the younglings from our over-eager drakes.

Haha, yeah! I tell them apart at first glance mostly by temperament. One is willing to come right up to me to be held and will eat my hair like I never feed him, but the other is way more passive and prefers to hang back with the ducks. Either way, I love em :) they're annoying sometimes and one of them was very mean to our broody duck (we're protecting her nest now, they plucked the feathers from her back!) but other than that they're very well behaved and function well to protect the younglings from our over-eager drakes.
Not surprising, the extreme individuality of geese never fails, and mine don’t like ducks much either.

Back
Top Bottom