Goose shaking his head then rubbing it on his body

TheaVS

Hatching
Nov 29, 2023
Hi all. I have Pilgrim Geese. My one male goose is almost 4 months old. A couple of days ago he started shaking his head and then rubbing it on his body (both sides). He is very vocal, seems to be eating and drinking ok but appears very weary all the time. Is he sick or is this normal behaviour?

Hi all. I have Pilgrim Geese. My one male goose is almost 4 months old. A couple of days ago he started shaking his head and then rubbing it on his body (both sides). He is very vocal, seems to be eating and drinking ok but appears very weary all the time. Is he sick or is this normal behaviour?
probably normal i’ve seen that before as long as it’s not excessive, if you can take a video of him and post it, that will be helpful

:welcome

I just noticed you said he is "weary"
what are you feeding them?
and what does is poop look like? (pictures?)

Is he rubbing himself like this?

Maybe he’s just trying to clean himself.
My geese would stand at the edge of the pool and rub themselves but not get in the water. I had to teach them to take baths and swim.

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpeg
    IMG_1209.jpeg
    852.8 KB · Views: 2
I just noticed you said he is "weary"
what are you feeding them?
and what does is poop look like? (pictures?)
He seems to be on high alert most of the time walking with his neck extended and head in the air and becomes very loud. I do have 'wild pilgrim geese' in another flock that frequently comes close to the fence.

Is he rubbing himself like this?

Maybe he’s just trying to clean himself.
My geese would stand at the edge of the pool and rub themselves but not get in the water. I had to teach them to take baths and swim.
He is bathing and preening himself nicely but displays this behaviour throughout the day away from the water.

Back
Top Bottom