Goose started to lay in Janurary!!!!!!

I would say it is worth a try, but a month might be pushing it, 3 weeks I think would be ok. If the goose lays at least every other day, in the two weeks before you want her to set would be about seven eggs, maybe more. Keep in mind I am no expert, and this will be my first year with adult geese. Maybe someone with more experiance will chime in?????

I have 11 Geese (Toulouse and Embden) and one of my girls has so far laid two eggs this week in a nest outside - I am collecting her eggs and they will be used for eating as it is freezing cold here and I will need to have the females on nests in their stable as there are too many predators outside, normally they let me know when they want to set, I have ringed the legs of the female and her partner so they always "live together" when she is hatching - I keep them separate from the others as the nests have been destroyed in the past and other females will lay their eggs in the same nest!

I read last year on BYC that it is best to eat the first eggs hatched as they can lay up to 20 eggs before setting - so depending upon how many your female can cope with (7/8?) she will lay a whole lot more - mine lay for 2-3 months in the Spring - BUT I do have 7 females....

I had geese lay eggs in September last year..... wierd or what? So did other BYC members!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Back
Top Bottom