Gosling with undeveloped eyes

CrazyChick86

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 23, 2015
Marquette, MI
Hi, I just got 8 buff goslings....1 has undeveloped eyes. He/she is eating and drinking on its own just fine. It doesn't seem to be in any pain and seems to be walking around fine. Does anybody have any advice on special needs gosling? What should I be doing for him/her? the other goslings don't seem to be picking on him. I want to keep him/her as long as its healthy and happy. I worry about when I integrate it into the rest my flock...I have 10 chickens and four ducks (and the rest of the goslings). Any suggestions would be appreciated please :)

Hi, I just got 8 buff goslings....1 has undeveloped eyes. He/she is eating and drinking on its own just fine. It doesn't seem to be in any pain and seems to be walking around fine. Does anybody have any advice on special needs gosling? What should I be doing for him/her? the other goslings don't seem to be picking on him. I want to keep him/her as long as its healthy and happy. I worry about when I integrate it into the rest my flock...I have 10 chickens and four ducks (and the rest of the goslings). Any suggestions would be appreciated please :)
Can the gosling see at all? not sure what you mean.

he/she can not see at all:(
I wouldn't free range a blind gosling. I would buddy it up with another one in a pen of good size though and keep food and water always in the same place. if you put out water for them to bath in it should be shallow so it doesn't have any problems getting in or out where it could get stranded and not be able to find it's way out. It maybe okay with other geese if raised with them, but chickens can be especially hateful to another that has a disability they pick up on it pretty quick. But saying all of this animals with disabilities can live a good life as long as those who care for them understand the responsibility they have in caring for them.

I agree with Miss Lydia. I did have a blind duck. I call him Cho-co-lot.He was brown and was born blind. I watched him like a hawk and he did buddy up with another duck. When it came time for putting him up in the coop, I had to pick him up and carry him, cause they get disorientated. He was fine though, they just need extra care, just like a blind person. I have two blind horses right now. One is a rescue and one is a Belgian Draft. I have the Belgian for 28yrs now. Penney went blind when she was 10, but she had her momma, (Katie). Since Katie died at 26 yrs old, Penney has another horse as a companion. He is blind in one eye, but does very well. You just can't move things around like Miss Lydia said

Back
Top Bottom