Goslings and ducklings please help.

Chriswardens52

Songster
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
DuckVille Montana
Ok so I have 4 Canada goslings that are two weeks old and 7 pekin ducklings. The problem is when I have them outside with me the geese peck and bite the ducklings causing them to squeak. Should I wait untill the ducklings are older bigger or what? Any help isuch appreciated.

Are they all in the same brooder?

I have 2 embden goslings and 3 ducklings brooding together and they all get along fine. They are all the same age and the ducklings are somewhat attached to the goslings. I also have 5 older ducklings who hate the goslings and dont care much for the younger ducklings either. They all go outside but so far I haven't been able to put them all together without a lot of drama. I'm hoping as the younger ducklings get older the others will accept them. The goslings we have already decided will be housed separately.

My embden gosling and pair of American buff goslings have been brooded with 8 pekins from the time I got them. When I separate them the ducks get very upset and so do the geese. During the day I have them out in a large chicken tractor. I carry either the ducks in a tote or the geese in a tote. One time I carried the ducks in and forgot to shut the door of the chicken tractor. I looked out the window to see the geese just outside calling for the ducks. Sorry I could not help. I have read that you can have problems when you brood ducks and geese together.

i keep my geese and ducks separate. If they are all out in the larger yard area they're okay, as there is plenty of room to get away from each other. But given half a chance, the geese will nip at the ducks. So i never let them all out together unless i am there to intervene.

At four weeks mine are all together. I have seen the geese run over the top the of ducks. But I have not seen much picking on them going on. You know the geese are going to be at the top of the pecking order, probably. they get along pretty good. Are you sure you have enough space for them in the brooder?

I'd say it might be more difficult since your goslings are older and larger than your ducklings.

I've successfully raised ducks, muscovies, and goslings together, more than once. As long as the size difference isn't too great, everyone tends to get along just fine and they bond like one flock. It can make things "interesting" during breeding seasons later though, but it usually sorts itself out without too much drama. Usually.

If there's a big size difference between anybody though, it doesn't usually work well. And your goslings are just going to keep growing too. If you want to keep trying, I'd say make sure they have enough space, and maybe even a way for the Pekins to get away (maybe something smaller they can squeeze through or behind - though you'll have to constantly resize that). Things might settle down for you.

The age difference isn't TOO great. I'm not really familiar with the size or growth rate of Canadians, specifically, and whether your Pekins are the really large ones or not may make a difference.

I hope it works out, or you find a solution.

Back
Top Bottom